Job Title: Senior Legal Officer
Organisation: Capital Markets Authority (CMA)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Director Legal and Board Affairs
The Capital Markets Authority (CMA) was established by the Capital Markets Authority Act Chapter 84 Laws of Uganda as a semi-autonomous body responsible for the promotion, development and regulation of the capital markets industry in Uganda.
Job Summary: The Senior Legal Officer will provide technical support in the delivery of legal advisory services, and the review and development of rules, regulations and laws aimed at ensuring the Capital Market in Uganda is safe, efficient and vibrant.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· In charge of the review Securities Exchange and Securities Central Depository rules prior to their approval by the Authority
· Draft capital markets regulations and laws, and support their approval and publication. This will include conducting research on similar practices in other regional or international jurisdictions.
· Carry out due diligence for license applications, and for debt and equity prospectus applications;
· Draft legal instruments for the Authority e.g. service contracts and Memoranda of Understanding for regional and inter- agency cooperation.
· Provide legal advice, and prepare legal briefs and opinions;
· Provide board committee secretarial services to the legal & regulatory services committee or any other committee as may be assigned.
· In charge of representing the Authority in courts of law and other dispute resolution fora where necessary
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicant should hold a Bachelor’s degree in Law and a post-graduate diploma in legal practice. Possession of a relevant Masters’ degree will be an added advantage.
· A minimum of four years of post-qualification work experience in a reputable organization (A minimum of two years work experience in a regulatory or development agency is desirable);
· Working knowledge (academic or practical) or experience of the financial sector will be an added advantage;
· Computer literacy i.e. proficiency in Microsoft Office - power point, excel, word;
· Excellent interpersonal and communication/presentation skills;
· Good drafting skills.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their applications together with a recent CV (with references), copies of academic transcripts and certificates to the Director Corporate Services to Capital Markets Authority, 8th Floor, Jubilee Insurance Center, Plot 14 Parliament Avenue, P.O. Box 24565 Kampala. Uganda
Deadline: 21st October, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline