Job Title: Regional Human Resources Business Partner
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Regional Director
Oxfam is an international confederation of 17 affiliates networked together in more than 90 countries committed to ridding the world of poverty and injustice. To achieve this, we support local projects in developing countries, we lobby governments and companies to take into account the interests of the poorest people and we campaign to involve citizens in our work. We implement our programs by working with local NGO partners and civil society organizations and engaging with private sector and governments. Oxfam employs over 6,000 people worldwide in more than 90 countries. In Uganda, our program is anchored on three broad themes deliberately focused on Women’s Rights: Resilient Livelihoods, Governance and Accountability and Humanitarian Preparedness and Response.
Job Summary: The Regional Human Resources Business Partner will provide a professional, business focused organisational development and human resource management service on behalf of the OI Secretariat, delivering a proactive and solution- based approach for resolving issues and ensuring that staff are effectively resourced, managed and developed to deliver organizational strategy. The incumbent will provide strategic input and support to the Regional Director and Regional Leadership Team as well as to the Country Director and Country HR Managers in order to achieve the Regional strategy and Oxfam’s mission within the HECA region. The jobholder will ensure that all staffing issues are managed in line with Oxfam policies and procedures and facilitate effective implementation by managers, or working alongside managers, to support delivery. As a key member of the Regional Management Team and the global HR leadership team, this person will lead and facilitate the development of a highly effective and strategic HR function in the HECA region to ensure the organization has the right structure, culture and talent needed to deliver on its objectives across the HECA region (DRC, Ethiopia, Kenya, Tanzania, Sudan, South Sudan, Burundi, Rwanda, Somalia and
Uganda). The jobholder will support and enable countries in the region to manage and develop their people as well as ensuring that quality standards in Human Resources are met across the region. He/she will be accountable for the implementation strategy of the Global HR People Strategy within the region.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Provision of Strategic HR Leadership and Management to the OI Regional Director and Regional Management Team and to the Country HR Managers (60% of time)
· As HR Business Partner to the OI Regional Director, acts as trusted advisor to the senior leadership team, influences on senior management thinking and behaviors on the people aspects of Regional Strategy and ensures that people management is central to this.
· As a key member of the Regional Management Team, be the trusted partner on all people related matters for the region, provide HR leadership, advice, counsel and solutions in analysing people issues and challenges across the region.
· Coordinate all the HR plans defined and implemented within the region, especially when there is more than one Executing Affiliate in it, in order to achieve a common HR framework in the region.
· Support the EA to build the regional and national HR “capacity” and capability for efficient and effective HR delivery at multi-levels and implementation and adaptation of HR global initiatives and practices across the region. Build HR knowledge and expertise leveraging internal and external resources.
· In charge of managing and developing the performance of the Regional HR team and supporting the recruitment and capacity building of HR staff across the region.
· Significantly contribute to the delivery of the global HR strategic functions1 at both the regional and national levels.
· Ensure consistency with the global strategy adapting for the region where necessary and drawing and building on developed best practice where this exists such that the organisations can deliver on the full spectrum mandate (development, humanitarian and early recovery programmes), business objectives and Quality standards are met.
· Identify and facilitate the development of HR policy, procedures, standards, tools, and resources, in line with Global requirements and regional/country specifics. Ensure effective adaptation at all levels and compliance with the local labour regulations and donor requirements.
· Work closely with the regional leadership to attract, recruit and retain the talented people we need and to identify and develop high potential staff.
· Detailed advice and problem resolution (including direct one to one manager OI Regional staff case work support) on complex and sensitive policy interpretation and procedural issues to managers and employees including advising managers when HR decisions might need to be taken outside of defined policy and process.
· Work closely with the country HR team to scale HR functions which can be managed and delivered at country level.
· Manage the link and relationship to all OI HR shared services.
Learning and Organizational Development and Staff Capability Building in the HECA region (20% of time)
· Embed a culture of performance management across the region, where staff are held accountable and rewarded for high performance.
· Support managers in the development and coaching of staff to optimise their potential in pursuit of Oxfam’s objectives.
· Providing technical assistance on staff capacity building and in formulating the annual HR plans
· Ensure that staff have access to HR guidance on individual development opportunities arising from performance review feedback and personal career development interests
· Creating within the region an environment of continuous learning where staff are encouraged and supported to develop and are held accountable for their commitments
· Keenly analyse on an ongoing basis the organisational staffing profile across the region and work closely with the Regional Management Team and Country Directors to ensure effective talent management strategy is in place and actively support activity that optimizes talent.
· Workforce planning, recruitment, performance management, talent development, resource management, employee relations, pay and reward, health and safety, succession planning and climate management, HR capacity development, etc.
Change Management v2020 (10% of time)
· Provide overall project management to the change process in the region and ensure plans are delivered to schedule in each country.
· Provide remote support to country teams and travel where required to provide hands on support.
· Provide flexible support to the Regional Director and Country Directors as required on different aspects of the change process.
· Manage the key change related meetings in the region (e.g. monthly change updates) and ensure the follow-up of all agreed action points.
· Ensure progress is tracked and reported on appropriately at regional and global levels, escalating key issues and risks where appropriate.
· Provide flexible project management support to the Global Change team as required.
· Ensure regular communication about the progress of the change process is shared across the region.
· Work closely with Regional Director, Country Directors and other key staff internally to develop a clear risk management approach for the regional and country change processes.
· Keenly track the implementation plan and ensure all staff involved in delivering different activities in the change plan are aware of the timelines, the key dependencies and their accountabilities.
· Provide leadership in the alignment of regional and country transformational change initiatives into “One Oxfam”
General Organizational Awareness and Learning (10% of time)
· Keep abreast with changing organizational and external situational circumstances, which may impact the wider organization and proactively develop suggestions for addressing them and/or incorporating relevant information into Oxfam’s ideas and approaches.
· Manage the link with change managers (where appropriate).
· Contribute to OI HR strategy development.
· As a member of the Global HR Leadership team, represents the region needs, challenges and context.
· May serve as a line manager for regional platform support functions if required
· May take a lead on strategic HR issues as appropriate.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicant should preferably hold a Degree in Human Resources or related field (where appropriate in the local context) with substantial knowledge and experience of general human resource management with expertise in providing a superior, proactive, business focused service.
· Possession of a relevant post-graduate academic qualification in human resource management, organizational development, psychology or related discipline (where appropriate in the local context) is desired
· Broad knowledge of (country) in terms of its political, economic and social trends plus a good understanding of the key development and humanitarian issues in the region.
· Substantial knowledge and experience of organizational development, especially capacity building and skills transfer, learning and development and knowledge management. Experience in creating a learning and sharing environment.
· Extensive working knowledge and experience of (HECA) labour law and its application.
· Show commitment to Oxfam’s overall aims and policies and experience of promoting gender equity and diversity and the interests of marginalized people in all aspects of Oxfam’s work.
· Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modeling Oxfam values. Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
· Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
· Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale
· Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to; builds and maintains effective relationships with colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
· Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
· Significant amount of experience in Professional Human Resources Management
· Organisation Development and Change Management experience
· Previous experience of leading and developing a team
· International: experience of HR/OD in a large complex, multi-cultural organization
· Non-profit: experience of HR/OD in a NGO
· Fluent English and national languages level (written and oral communication).
· Knowledge on the regional cultures.
· Must be able to travel domestically and internationally up to 35% of the time.
· Decisiveness: We are comfortable to make transparent decisions and to adapt decision making modes to the context and needs.
· Influencing: We have the ability to engage with diverse stakeholders in a way that leads to increased impact for the organization. We spot opportunities to influence effectively and where there are no opportunities we have the ability to create them in a respectful and impactful manner.
· Humility: We put ‘we’ before ‘me’ and place an emphasis on the power of the collective, nurture the team and play to the strengths of each individual. We are not concerned with hierarchical power, and we engage with, trust and value the knowledge and expertise of others across all levels of the organization.
· Relationship Building: We understand the importance of building relationship, within and outside the organization. We have the ability to engage with traditional and non-traditional stakeholders in ways that lead to increased impact for the organisation.
· Listening: We are good listeners who can see where deeper levels of thoughts and tacit assumptions differ. Our messages to others are clear, and consider different preferences.
· Mutual Accountability: We can explain our decisions and how we have taken them based on our organizational values. We are ready to be held to account for what we do and how we behave, as we are also holding others to account in a consistent manner.
· Agility, Complexity, and Ambiguity: We scan the environment, anticipate changes, are comfortable with lack of clarity and deal with a large number of elements interacting in diverse and unpredictable ways.
· Systems Thinking: We view problems as parts of an overall system and in their relation to the whole system, rather than reacting to a specific part, outcome or event in isolation. We focus on cyclical rather than linear cause and effect. By consistently practicing systems thinking we are aware of and manage well unintended consequences of organisational decisions and actions.
· Strategic Thinking and Judgment: We use judgment, weighing risk against the imperative to act. We make decisions consistent with organizational strategies and values.
· Vision Setting: We have the ability to identify and lead visionary initiatives that are beneficial for our organization and we set high-level direction through a visioning process that engages the organization and diverse external stakeholders.
· Self- Awareness: We are able to develop a high degree of self-awareness around our own strengths and weaknesses and our impact on others. Our self-awareness enables us to moderate and self-regulate our behaviors to control and channel our impulses for good purposes.
· Enabling: We all work to effectively empower and enable others to deliver the organizations goals through creating conditions of success. We passionately invest in others by developing their careers, not only their skills for the job. We provide freedom; demonstrate belief and trust provide appropriate support. We give more freedom and demonstrate belief and trust, underpinned with appropriate support.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their applications and curriculum vitae with a daytime telephone contact using the link below quoting the position reference.
Deadline: 11th November, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline