Job Title: Regional Human Resource Management Officer
Organisation: IntraHealth International
Project Name: USAID Strengthening Human Resources for Health (SHRH) Project
Duty Station: Jinja, Uganda
Reports to: Deputy Chief of Party
About Intra Health:
For over 30 years, in more than 100 countries, IntraHealth International has empowered health workers to better serve communities in need. IntraHealth fosters local solutions to health care challenges by improving health worker performance, strengthening health systems, harnessing technology, and leveraging partnerships. In collaboration with governments, nongovernmental organizations, and private- sector organizations around the world, IntraHealth champions the needs and contributions of health workers—from doctors and nurses to community health workers to health facility managers—and works to ensure they have the tools, supplies, information, training, and support they need to provide communities they serve with the best possible opportunity for health and well-being.
About USAID Intra Health SHRH Project:
The purpose of the Strengthening Human Resources for Health (SHRH) project is to strengthen the capacities of central ministries, districts, health professional councils, PNFP and health training institutions to effectively and efficiently plan, manage and utilize the health workforce; and strengthen systems for sustained health worker performance to improve health outcomes for the people of Uganda.
Job Summary: The Regional Human Resource Management Officer will work directly with districts, IPs and PNFPs in his/her assigned region to provide technical assistance in the areas of evidence based strategic human resources planning, including health workforce projection, action planning, and costing. S/he will specifically provide technical support in developing capacities for data analysis and use in determining human resource needs, planning interventions and monitoring outcomes and results of the project interventions in the districts. He/she will collaborate with other IPs and stakeholders in the districts and RRH to promote partnerships, complementary and synergies in health workforce support for improved health service coverage and outcomes.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Ensure effective coverage of all districts within assigned region on critical project interventions, including the SHRH district Intervention Package Identify unique HRH planning challenges such as workforce planning, recruitment and retention, in different districts and RRH and design appropriate local solutions.
· Help implement project interventions and approaches in the areas of recruitment, deployment, and retention Identify and develop potential linkages between
· pre-service and in-service training Facilitate working continuously with regional and local partners to achieve ownership, political support, and skills transfer for overall project sustainability.
· Work with stakeholders at the district level to create a culture of data use, through developing a strategy for building capacity to analyze data and draw conclusions that will improve decision-making and planning.
· Ensure functionality of HRIS in all districts, alerting the Kampala-based informatics team or the district-based partners for follow-up corrective action when needed
· Offer technical leadership in sharing and developing new and improved strategies, tools and interventions for improved human resources planning and document intervention outcomes Organize and lead activity interventions, including preparing budgets, tracking expenditures, ensuring work proceeds according to plans and timelines and ensuring the quality of the deliverables.
· Support the health sector managers to review and operationalize HR policies, guidelines, and procedures Prepare and provide regular reports on monthly, quarterly and annual basis.
· Actively contribute to activities and work teams as assigned and any other duties as appropriate.
· Avail technical performance standards; assess performance gaps to be reviewed by local teams annually, ensure annual performance improvement plans are made and supervision tools used.
Key Performance Indicators:
· Capacity for HRH data analysis and use built among DHMT, RRH management teams and HR managers in the districts
· Comprehensive and costed HRH plans developed annually as an integral part of the district health plans and RRH plans.
· District Performance Management Committees established
· Annual District Health Plans and Health Unit Annual Plans Developed
· Individual Performance plans developed according to clear jobs descriptions
· Routine Performance monitoring and appraisal implemented
· Rewards and Sanctions system established
· Coordinate and support the implementation of results-oriented district support supervision.
· Abseentism significantly reduced
· HRIS Functional, database maintained up to date and data regularly analyzed and used for decision making in districts and RRHs.
· Transition plans developed with key stakeholders in the region per standard project template for passing responsibility for implementation of interventions to local authorities.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate for the USAID Intra Heath International Project Regional Human Resource Management Officer should hold an Advanced degree in public health, epidemiology, economics, biostatistics, or a social sciences field related to human resources for health (e.g., management, public policy).
· At least six years’ experience in implementing or managing HRH or related activities in Uganda, including involvement in several of the following areas: National HRH assessment, workforce policy and planning, human resource development and management, development and deployment of human resource information systems, leadership development, workforce projections and costing, performance improvement, delivering or evaluating education for health professionals.
· At least three years' of the working experience should have been served at a Senior level of Principal Officer in Government or in a reputable organization in the private sector.
· Familiarity and experience working with the Uganda health care system, the Ministry of Health, District Government, and other development organizations in Uganda is a plus.
· Previous experience and functional familiarity with HRIS or similar systems, or ability to develop those skills quickly
· Proven ability to carry out analysis of HRH issues; and sound costing of interventions to motivate resource allocation for HRH.
· Experience working on USAID-funded projects highly desirable
· Clear commitment and record of achievement to building the capacity of local partners.
· Strong verbal and written English communication skills.
· Computer literacy in MS Office applications including Word, Excel, Power Point; Outlook
· Innovation: Develops new, better or significantly different ideas, methods, solutions or initiatives within your role that result in improvement of IntraHealth’s performance and meeting objectives, results and global commitments.
· Accountability: Holds self and others accountable for all work activities, research and personal actions and decisions; follows through on commitments and focuses on those activities that have the greatest impact on meeting measurable high quality results for IntraHealth’s success.
· Service Excellence: Knowledge of and ability to put into action customer service concepts, processes and techniques to access internal and/or external client needs and expectations and meet or exceed those needs and expectations through providing excellent service directly or indirectly.
· Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed upon strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; and monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary.
· Interpersonal Relationships: Knowledge of and the ability to effectively interact within and across Divisions, Departments/Country Offices in a constructive and collaborative manner.
· Effective Oral and Written Communication: Understands effective communication concepts, tools and techniques; ability to effectively transmit, explain complex technical concepts in simple, clear language appropriate to the audience; and receive, and accurately interpret ideas, information, and needs through the application of appropriate communication behaviors.
How to Apply:
All candidates are strongly encouraged to send their applications to the Senior Administration & HR Officer including an updated CV, and photocopies of their certificates and testimonials via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
NB: Total file size of attachments should not exceed 2MB.
Deadline: Friday, 21st October 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline