Job Title: Regional Energy Officer
Organization: World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Regional Energy Coordinator
WWF is one of the world's largest independent and experienced Conservation organizations operating in over 100 Countries in the world. WWF UCO implements a number of national programmes promoting environment conservation in Uganda. WWF's mission is to stop the degradation of our planet's natural environment, and build a future in which humans live in harmony with nature.
Job Summary: The Regional Energy Officer will support the Regional Energy coordinator in the implementation of sustainable energy initiatives, the Africa Energy Transformational Project and support the delivery of sustainable energy actions within Country Strategic plans and as part of the overall the Global Climate and Energy Practice.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Under the supervision Energy Coordinator of the ROA Energy Hub, support the further development of the Regional Energy Programme and the Africa Energy Transformational Project including the identification of potential project packaging attractive to funding.
· Take lead in documenting and communicating of key energy developments in consultation with the regional energy coordinator, national energy focal persons and development partners.
· Offer support in the implementation of key strategic energy interventions coordinated at the Regional Office for Africa including among others; the Sustainable Energy Access Forums (SEAFs), the ROA Component of the project on integrating environmental and social concerns in oil and gas development in Africa and the strengthening civil society on sustainable energy initiative among others as may be required from time to time.
· Work in close consultation with Regional Energy Coordinator and relevant finance teams, prepare, monitor and analyze budgets, procurements, administration and financial reporting of WWF Regional Office for Africa Energy Hub.
· Take lead in developing and implementing an effective programme monitoring and evaluation to track the implementation of the Regional Energy Hub action plan. This among others will include undertaking of appropriate baselines and tracking of progress of implementing the regional energy strategy against these established baselines.
· Assist the Regional Energy Coordinator in providing adequate technical and management support to ongoing energy projects at the Regional Office for Africa Energy Hub and Country offices as well as with key strategic partners.
· Work in close collaboration with relevant Regional and Country Office staff, develop relevant projects and initiatives that facilitate the successful implementation of the ROA action plans on sustainable energy, including context research, and the preparation of fully justified and budgeted proposals according to WWF Network standards and/or funding agency guidelines
· Take lead in preparing annual and quarterly work plans on the implementation progress of the ROA Energy action plans in consultation with the Regional Energy Coordinator
· Work in close collaboration with the Regional Energy Coordinator and the Regional
· Communications team, will support the development and coordination of public engagement and communication campaigns (such as through the Earth Hour, Earth Hour City Challenge among others) on key energy issues in the region.
· Ensures the ROA Energy actions plans are implemented with due consideration of gender issues and in accordance with WWF standards, values and principles.
· Performs any other related assignments as by be required of him/her by the Regional Office for Africa Energy Coordinator.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate for the WWF Regional Energy Officer career opportunity should hold an Advanced degree in Renewable/Sustainable Energy management or Environment and
· Natural Resources Management with experience in energy-related work is a must.
· Significant experience in conducting research on energy, environment and natural resources is mandatory.
· A minimum of three years of professional experience in relevant field.
· Proven experience in monitoring and evaluation is mandatory
· Previous experience in sustainable energy related-programme implementation is a must.
· Prior exposure and experience in civil society organizational capacity development, communication, networking, lobbying and advocacy for natural resources management is a must;
· Proven experience in mentorship and capacity building.
· Effective communication, networking and good interpersonal skills is a key requirement.
· Experience in programme development and management
· Proven skills for effective oral and written communication of technical sustainable energy issues to both technical and non-technical audiences;
· Good conceptual, analytical and innovative problem-solving ability;
· Broad knowledge and understanding of key energy issues in Africa;
· Demonstrated ability to handle complex processes and information integration issues;
· Ability to implement alone or as part of a team major capacity building activities, planning, development and implementation of capacity building initiatives;
· Ability to maintain effective working relations both as a team member and team leader;
· Ability to remain effective under circumstances of minimum supervision.
· Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people in a multi-cultural, multi-interest, multi-ethnic environment;
· Capacity of assuming a leading role, often in situations under pressure, in defining and implementing projects with teams of individuals of different culture and background;
· Must be detail-oriented and have the ability to multi-task under limited supervision.
· Fluency in English and at least one other major language spoken (Swahili, French, and
· Portuguese) in Africa region is an added advantage.
How to Apply:
All interested candidates should send their cover letters, updated CVs, and academic transcripts to the Human Resource Officer, WWF Uganda, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Human Resource Officer,
WWF Uganda Country Office,
Plot 2, Sturrock Road, Kololo,
P.O. Box 8745, Kampala - Uganda
NB: Only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted.
Deadline: Friday, 14th October 2016 by 4:00 PM
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline