Job Title: Project Assistant (Water Quality)
Organisation: Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC)
Duty Station: Uganda
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
Job Summary: The Project Assistant (Water Quality) will be responsible for the Bacteriological analysis of water from the Bore Holes, Household and taps in the Settlements.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Carry out bacteriological analysis monthly for each borehole, sampled households and tap stands in the camps and Refugee borehole.
· Responsible for the water quality Laboratory with its equipment. Carry out assessment of FRC of each reticulating line tap stands levels .Targeting maintaining UNHCR standard of 0.5 mg /l at every tap stand and 0.2 mg/l at house hold levels.
· Regularly monitor the quality of water in the settlements and UNHCR borehole through monthly bacteriological quality analysis.
· Manage the maintenance of water quality equipment’s in the field, servicing and calibration on regular basis together with the water quality monitors.
· Ensure chlorine solution is prepared in the required percentage and right quantities.
· Formulate and manage a data base for data related to water quality, beneficiary list for hygiene related nonfood items, vector control, and solid waste management and community sensitization campaigns on hygiene promotion.
· Designs and produces data sheets for capturing of data related to water quality, solid waste management, vector control, household visits, focus group discussions and jerry can cleaning campaigns.
· Preparation of reports, guidelines and other strategic documentation.
· Participate actively in proposal developments.
· Ensure effective water treatment including checking on the quality of drinking water parameters to include physical, chemical and bacteriological properties.
· Actively participate in beneficiary identification and selection for hygiene related nonfood items and in accordance with the NRC’s set criteria on beneficiary selection and identification.
· Procurement of water quality items/services by raising purchase requests and following up.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicant for the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) Project Assistant (Water Quality) job opportunity should hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Health or any other relevant discipline.
· At least two to three years’ experience with Diploma in field related to analytical chemistry will be considered
· At least three years of practical experience in the planning and execution of WASH Programmes preferably in a humanitarian and development programme with an INGO.
· Previous experience in undertaking hygiene promotion in a relief programme is essential.
· Proven ability to use MS Office software (especially Word and Excel) is essential. Experience with other computer programs such as SAP 2000 and Microsoft Project would be an advantage
· Ability to initiate, develop, plan and implement an integrated programme.
· Excellent communication (spoken and written) skills, including the ability to explain and present technical information
· Prior exposure and experience of integrating gender and diversity issues into WASH Programming
· All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Codes of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable
How to Apply:
All interested and qualified Ugandan candidates who wish to join one of the world’s leading relief organisations, Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) should apply by visiting the web link below.
Deadline: 17th October 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline