Job Title: Programme Analyst, Fistula
Organization: United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Job ID: 5890
Grade Level: NOB
Reports to: Representative
UNFPA, the United Nations Population Fund, is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every birth is safe, and every young person's potential is fulfilled. UNFPA expands the possibilities for women and young people to lead healthy and productive lives. Since UNFPA started working in 1969, the number – and rate – of women dying from complications of pregnancy or childbirth has been halved. Families are smaller and healthier. Young people are more connected and empowered than ever before.
Job Summary: The Programme Analyst, Fistula will substantively contributes to the effective management of UNFPA activities in the areas of reproductive health. The incumbent analyses and assesses relevant political, social and economic trends and provides substantive inputs to project formulation and evaluation, joint programming initiatives and national development frameworks. The program analyst guides and facilitates the delivery of UNFPA programs by monitoring results achieved in the implementation. She/he ensures and guides the appropriate application of systems and procedures and develops enhancements if necessary. The OF programme analyst facilitates the work of consultants, advisors and experts and establishes and maintains collaborative relationships with counterparts in government, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donor agencies and civil society to address emerging issues for mainstreaming human rights and gender equality into programme delivery. She/he must effectively influence counterparts from diverse backgrounds to jointly contribute to achieving UNFPA’s mandate. The NPPP Gender and Human Rights is a substantive contributor to the program team in the Country Office.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Supports the Government in ensuring effective coordination of Maternal health/.OF related assessments (including gaps in human resource planning and management of Obstetric fistula and planning, including harmonization of health development partners inputs for Maternal health/OF program
· Supports the Government to develop, execute and periodically review and continually align OF/maternal health with relevant current national and sector strategic frameworks and plans including National Development Plan, Health Sector Strategic Plan (HSSP), Education Sector Strategic Plan, other thematic strategies and expenditure frameworks with a view to improve policies and practices for OF management/maternal health.
· Work in close collaboration with Government counterparts, NGOs and other partners contributes substantively to the formulation and design of the country programme and its reproductive health component projects in line with Government priorities and according to UNFPA program policies and procedures. Ensures quality of program/project design incorporating lessons learned, newly developed policies and best practices and establishing appropriate execution and monitoring mechanisms and systems.
· Regularly analyzes and interprets the political, social and economic environment relevant to reproductive health and identifies opportunities for UNFPA assistance and intervention including but not limited to obstetric fistula
· Stays abreast with new policy developments and strategies analyzing policy papers, strategy documents, national plans and development frameworks as they relate to Midwifery and SRH interventions and prepares briefs and inputs for policy dialogue, technical assistance coordination and development frameworks
· Analyzes and reports on program and project progress in terms of achieving results, using existing monitoring and evaluation tools and introducing new mechanisms and systems; identifies constraints and resource deficiencies and recommends corrective action. Monitors projects expenditures and disbursements to ensure delivery is in line with approved project budgets and to realize targeted delivery levels.
· Supports the generation of strategic information and evidence to inform national policies and strategies for maternal health improvement. Document and share good (best) practices in the management of obstetric fistula with wider stakeholders.
· Actively participates in the identification and formulation of OF/maternal health component work plans and projects by compiling and analyzing information, drafting project documents and work plans and preparing tables and statistical data.
· Work in close coordination with national counterparts and project personnel, guides routine implementation of assigned projects, coordinating the delivery of project inputs, ensuring participation of national counterparts in such project activities, including training and study tours.
· Facilitates networking and coalition-building with other national programs, agencies, organizations and professionals to improve Obstetric fistula management including prevention, treatment and rehabilitation and social reintegration in the context of improved reproductive health services, particularly maternal and new-born health.
· Develops and manage strategic relationships with key stakeholders in country in the area of OF services including development/review of policies, strategies and guidelines and capacity building and provision of technical assistance.
· Assists in ensuring technical guidance in the development/adaptation, dissemination, and use of program/technical tools, policies, guidelines, and standards, quality assurance and support supervision in support of implementation of interventions; and participate in the review of such tools especially those targeting sector ministries, training institutions and professional associations.
· Mobilizes and supports advocacy and community mobilization initiatives including working with advocates to mobilize for increased support to OF patients including rehabilitation and social reintegration efforts.
· Actively contributes/assists advocacy and resource mobilization efforts of the Country Office by preparing relevant documentation, i.e. project summaries, conference papers, speeches, donor profiles and participating in donor meetings and public information events.
· Perform any other functions as may be requested by the UNFPA Representative.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate for the United Nations UNFPA Programme Analyst, Fistula career opportunity should be a Qualified Midwife with a Master’s degree in relevant field such as Public Health or Community Health and development, Nursing et
· At least three years of professional experience. Preference will be given to candidates with midwifery service, Midwifery Technical Advisers, midwifery education and training and/or administration/regulation in the public or private sector.
· Knowledge and experience in program management, including budget management is desirable.
· Prior experience of working in multi-stakeholder environment including NGOs, bilateral and multilateral agencies.
· Broad knowledge and understanding of the Ugandan Health System is an added advantage.
· Fluency in English is required.
· Advocacy/Advancing a policy oriented agenda
· Results-based programme development and management
· Innovation and marketing of new approaches
· Leveraging the resources of national governments and partners/Building strategic alliances and partners
· Resource mobilization
· Values: Integrity/Commitment to mandate, Knowledge sharing/Continuous learning, Valuing diversity
· Managing Relationships: Working in teams, Communicating information and ideas, Conflict and self-management
· Working with people: Empowerment/Developing people/Performance management
· Personal Leadership and Effectiveness: Strategic and analytical thinking, Results orientation/Commitment to excellence, Appropriate and transparent decision making
N.B: There is no application, processing or other fee at any stage of the application process. UNFPA does not solicit or screen for information in respect of HIV or AIDS and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
How to Apply:
All interested applicants who wish to join the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to click on the link below and follow the application instructions after reviewing the job details.
Deadline: 26th October, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline