Job Title: Program Manager, JMEDICC
Organisation: Makerere University Walter Reed Project (MUWRP)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: MUWRP Executive Director
The Makerere University Walter Reed Project (MUWRP) is a non-profit HIV research program that was established in 2002 as a result of a memorandum of understanding between Makerere University and The Henry M. Jackson foundation for Advancement of Military Medicine Inc. of USA (HJF). The primary purpose of MUWRP is to develop, evaluate and provide interventions to mitigate disease threats of public health importance to Uganda. Activities include; vaccine development and building of vaccine testing capability in Uganda, conducting of epidemiological and basic research and provision of HIV Treatment, care and support in Kayunga, Mukono and Buvuma Districts.
Job Summary: The Program Manager, JMEDICC will be responsible for the overall management and implementation of the JMEDICC program including management of program personnel, budget and resources, as well as close coordination with the JMEDICC Senior Technical Advisor, study clinical lead, study coordinator, Uganda organizations, and international partners to ensure all components are successfully completed.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Clinical Research Management:
· Manage all MUWRP’s JMEDICC operations including protocol and SOP development, training and implementation of protocols from patient enrollment to successful data capture.
· The incumbent will develop and drive program plans keeping MUWRP and JMEDICC leadership informed of progress.
· Ensure standards of ICH/GCP, GCLP are practiced and SOPs are followed
· Ensure all Ugandan and USG regulations are followed.
· Serve as a liaison between MUWRP and other agencies involved in JMEDICC activities locally and internationally.
· Provide leadership and overall supervision of the research study operations.
· Manage all site operations including management of program staff, performance, renovations, logistics, supplies and equipment, security and personnel issues in conjunction with the study coordinator and relevant MUWRP departments.
· Identify training needs and foster a productive team environment
· Work in liaison with MUWRP administration to develop, execute and manage program budgets.
· Prepare program presentations and reports as required
· Build strong relationships with primary implementing partners in Uganda and Government of Uganda and other in-country stakeholders.
· Maintain good relationships and open communication with U.S. counterparts.
· Function independently, but escalate items as needed for higher level visibility, input, or action.
· Complete other tasks as needed.
· Provide systematic reports to review progress of activities to inform MUWRP and JMEDICC management
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicant must have five years of post MBchB or post a first degree in other health related profession or three to five years post MPH or MSC degree
· A minimum of three to five years’ experience in project planning and management
· Proven ability to implement high quality clinical research studies.
· Significant experience in managing in-country partners, stakeholder relationships, and team of technical and administrative staff.
· Ability to facilitate discussions of complicated, multi-faceted issues and clearly communicate the decisions, implications, and actions in easy to understand ways.
· Ability to build mutual respect and cooperative relationships with highly skilled partners, such as physicians and scientists.
· Ability to inspire action from groups or individuals not in direct chain of command. Ability to excel in fast-paced, changing, and challenging environments and to quickly adapt to new technology and tools.
· Ability to multi-task and respond creatively to trends, challenges and changes in the field.
· Strong written and oral communication.
· Solid organizational and analytical skills, highly organized, detail-oriented and self-motivated.
· Outstanding MS Office skills.
· Ability to travel as required to Kampala and other sites as needed on a regular basis.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should download the application form, download here, attach it together with application letters, CVs, Photocopies of academic qualifications and three professional referees. The position number (Check top of advert) and preferred location should clearly be stated in the application letter.
Please send applications to:
The Human Resources and Administration Manager
Makerere University Walter Reed Project
Plot 42 Nakasero Road.
P.O. Box 16524 Kampala. Uganda
Deadline: 17th October 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline