Job Title: Principal Programmer - Business Intelligence
Organization: Management Sciences for Health (MSH)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Senior Systems Administrator - Division of Health Informatics (DHI), Ministry of Health. Senior Technical Advisor, PIP- UHSC
Job ID: 13-9271
Management Sciences for Health (MSH) is an international non-profit health organization composed of nearly 2500 people from more than 74 nationalities working in over 50,countries. Our mission is to save lives and improve the health of the world’s poorest and most vulnerable people by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health. Together with our partners, we are helping managers and leaders in developing countries to create stronger management systems that improve health services for the greatest health impact.
Job Summary: The Principal Programmer - Business Intelligence is responsible for the maintenance and further expansion of the PIP (Pharmaceutical Information Portal) data warehouse and portal in collaboration with the Senior SharePoint/InfoPath developer, the Technical Advisor - PIP IT, and the PIP Data Use Coordinator. The priorities and required functionality for expansion of the PIP will be determined in collaboration with the Assistant Commissioner Pharmacy Division, the Technical Advisor - PIP IT, and the PIP Data Use Coordinator. The Principal Programmer – Business Intelligence will architect, design, build, implement, support, test, and maintain; dimensional models, extract, transform and load processes, reporting modules, and analysis/dashboard solutions.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Collect and analyse end-user Business Intelligence requirements and evaluate the feasibility of these requirements from a technical perspective.
· Work closely with report requestors to clarify needs and ensure that deliverables are to their specifications and delivered in a timely manner.
· Perform conceptual, logical, physical, and multidimensional data modelling.
· Identify data discrepancies and data quality issues and work to ensure data consistency and integrity.
· Develop and maintain SSIS Extract, Transform, and Load processes across multiple data sources.
· Design, develop and distribute reports (standard and ad-hoc) and dashboards from different data sources.
· Design, develop and implement data management and data analytics solutions.
· Optimize the OLAP and data-mining performance functions.
· Regularly monitor system details within the data warehouse including stored procedures and execution time and implement efficiency improvements.
· Respond to and resolve load failures and performance issues.
· Work closely with the Senior Systems Administrator in developing and executing project plans within assigned schedule and timeline.
· Recommend improvements to provide optimum reporting solutions.
· Stay updated with business operations and business intelligence processes.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate for the Management Sciences for Health Principal Programmer - Business Intelligence career opportunity should hold a Master’s Degree in Information Technology/Computer Science or a related field, or a BSc plus MSc-equivalent working experience
· At least ten (10) years of experience with demonstrated skills in software development and maintenance (i.e., software requirements analysis, software design including object oriented analysis and design, coding, testing, documentation, configuration management, user training, deployment, and lifecycle maintenance). This includes working with users to define requirements, architecting an effective software solution, and designing and developing databases and applications.
· At least six (6) years ETL development experience in a SQL Server environment with at least three (3) years of SSIS specific experience
· Six years reporting development experience in a SQL Server environment with a minimum of three (3) years SSRS/Report Builder experience
· At least three years OLAP and cube development experience with SSAS or similar tools
· MCSE Business Intelligence and MCSE Data Platform certifications are an added advantage
· Strong Microsoft SQL Server skills, preferably MCSA SQL Server certified.
· Strong TSQL skills.
· Strong programming skills using VB.net or C#.net.
· Broad knowledge and understanding of dimensional modelling.
· Knowledge of Performance Point, Power Pivot and Share Point is an added advantage
· Excellent analytical, problem solving, collaboration and technical skills.
· Proficient in creating written communication materials that effectively summarize findings and support.
· Keen attention to detail and commitment to high quality/error free deliverables.
· Must be motivated, independent and self-sufficient. Able to receive an assigned task and see it through to completion with minimal supervision.
· Must be well organized, a good communicator, able to effectively prioritize tasks, and manage projects from concept to production.
· Ability to write thorough and concise functional and design specifications as well as easily readable end user documentation.
· Must be well able to brainstorm with others, thrive in a collaborative team environment, multi task, and quickly adapt to change.
· Emphasizes personal and professional growth by studying state-of-the-art development tools, programming techniques, and computing equipment; participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
· Excellent written and oral communication skills, and able to read and write in English.
· A wide degree of creativity and latitude required.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates who wish to join the Management Sciences for Health in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to Apply Online by clicking on the link below.
Deadline: 11th November, 2016