Job Title: Principal Legal Officer
Organisation: Equal Opportunities Commission (EOC)
Job Ref: HRM/EOC/2016/03
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Commissioner, Legal Services and Investigations
The Equal Opportunities Commission (EOC) was established by the Equal Opportunities Act of 2007 and is mandated to provide a framework for redressing imbalances which exist against the marginalized groups while promoting equal opportunities for all.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· The Principal Legal Officer will develop and implement EOC investigations policies and procedures in line with the equal opportunities mandate and priority areas
· Develop equal opportunities investigations tools and methodologies in line with the set policies and procedures
· The jobholder will also oversee the security and storage of information, evidence and documents related to investigations
· The incumbent will manage the security and storage of information, evidence and documents related to investigations
· Develop and implement a framework for partnering with different stakeholders in executing complaints investigations in line with the set policies and procedures
· Compile and submit periodic investigations reports
· In charge of preparation of cases for tribunals hearings
· Responsible for supervising senior investigators and advising the senior investigation officer in line of investigation to take in various complaints
· Responsible for drafting various legal documents and advising the commission on various legal matters
· In charge of running ADR sessions
· Represent EOC clients in the tribunals
· Perform any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicants for the Equal Opportunities Commission (EOC) Principal Legal Officer should be Ugandans holding an honour’s degree in law from a recognized university/institution, a post graduate diploma from the law development centre, masters in human rights/ post graduate qualification in human rights or social justice
· Ethics and integrity, and must be computer literate.
· At least six (6) years working experience, three of which are at senior level in the investigations field in government; or equivalent experience from a reputable organization.
· Highly competent in investigation management and legal acuity.
· Personal Competencies: ADR skills, good research and report writing skills, advocacy skills, ability to work under minimal supervision, planning, coordinating and organizing, effective communication and team player
How to Apply:
All candidates should send their applications including a Public Service Form 3 (2008), download here, with the following attachments in triplicate: detailed CVs, certified copies of academic transcripts, relevant certificates and two referees (previous for those who may not be currently employed).
The application forms may also be obtained from the Public Service Commission Offices, 2nd Floor, Farmers House, Kampala, or at the Equal Opportunities Commission (EOC) Offices, Plot 7, Luthuli Close, Bugolobi.
The completed applications should be addressed to: The Acting Secretary, Equal Opportunities Commission, P.O. Box 27672, Kampala, Uganda indicating the post applied for, together with the job reference (See at Beginning of Job Advert) which should be indicated on the right hand top corner of the envelope.
Deadline: 24th November, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline