Job Title: Staff Writer Intern (No Experience Careers)
Organisation: Uganda Christian University (UCU)
Duty Station: Mukono, Uganda
Reports to: Standard Supervisor
Uganda Christian University was founded when the historic Bishop Tucker Theological College was promoted as a university in 1997. Bishop Tucker Theological College trained clergy and educators during its 84-year history from 1913-1997. The local chief, Hamu Mukasa, granted land for the college to operate in Mukono. International partnerships were part of the College’s missionary history. The Church Mission Society teamed with Ugandan leaders and others to assure the College had the necessary intellectual and other capital. By the late 1990s, the Church of Uganda sought to have a broader impact on society through the higher education - not only of clergy but of other professionals as well. Uganda Christian University was established in 1997.
Job Summary: The Staff Writer Intern will be part of the team that will write news stories, features and take photographs of events about or affecting the university and the community. He or she will also sift through views and opinions of the members of the community and write about them for the purpose of informing the rest of the community about the change in the thinking of the community towards issues of common concern. The successful applicant will, in addition, be given professional hands on training in the modern journalistic practice.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· The Intern will be establishing news sources in the UCU community for effective journalism practice.
· Conduct interviews and coverage of events in the UCU community and its neighborhood.
· Writing stories, articles and developing areas of news coverage.
· In charge of designing newspaper pages for The Standard.
· Perform any other official duties assigned by The Standard Supervisor.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate for the UCU Staff Writer Intern job opportunity must be a recent degree in Mass Communication, preferably Print major (Must have graduated not earlier than 2012).
· Must be competent in the use of In Design and have the ability to design pages for the newspaper.
· Possess good writing skills, a desire to look for stories and deliver them in a timely manner.
· Strong photojournalism skills.
· Must be able to work under minimum supervision for long hours, weekends inclusive.
· A committed Christian who is honest and trustworthy.
How to Apply:
All qualified candidates should send two (2) copies of an application letter clearly demonstrating suitability together with updated Curriculum Vitae and three (Academic, Leadership, Pastoral) references. Please remember to attach two (2) copies of academic and professional certificates and transcripts to:
The Manager, Human Resource & Administration,
Uganda Christian University,
P.O. Box 4, Mukono, Uganda
Deadline: 14th October 2016 by 5:00 pm
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline