Job Title: Exams Invigilator
Organisation: British Council
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
The British Council is the UK’s international organisation for educational opportunities and cultural relations. We create international opportunities for the people of the UK and other countries and build trust between them worldwide. British Council Uganda is based in Kampala and offers a full range of programmes including examinations, project management on behalf of other donors, and its own grant funded projects. British Council has operated in Uganda since 1952 and its aim is to build cultural and educational relations between Uganda and the UK.
Job Summary: The British Council Exams Invigilator will ensure that any test administered by the British Council runs smoothly on the test day/s and that all assigned test day duties and standards are met. The incumbent will be accountable for maintaining the integrity and reputation of the British Council and the various examination boards by ensuring that tests are delivered to prescribed standards for customer service, security and administration. You will also be accountable for promoting a positive image of the British Council by providing a high standard of customer care on the test day.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· The jobholder will report promptly to test venue at agreed time. In case of any delays or if unable to get to the test venue, inform the appropriate test day or British Council Examinations Services staff in a timely manner.
· Follow all relevant standards & procedures, based on training and reference materials provided by the British Council Examinations Services and the relevant Exam Boards.
· Enable good customer flow by giving candidates clear direction and answering their enquiries.
· Ensure that candidates follow the agreed exam procedures regarding the location and security of their belongings.
· Conduct candidate entry, exit, identity checks and Test Day Photography procedures according to exam requirements.
· Ensure special arrangements are provided as required.
· Be familiar with the emergency procedures for the test day venue.
· Invigilate examinations to the standard required by the British Council Examinations Service and the relevant Exams Boards.
· Actively monitor candidates during tests to make sure that there is no violation of test conditions.
· Support the supervisor to ensure that candidates have a positive and consistent test day experience and a positive image of the British Council.
· Ensure all material is accounted for and handed over securely to the supervisor.
· Complete and maintain accurate records of exam assignments. Complete all reports, logs and claims accurately as required by British Council Examinations Services.
· Follow all relevant guidelines and policies in the areas of: Data Protection, Child Protection, Health & Safety, Equal Opportunities and Diversity, and Anti-Fraud.
· Report any incidents, emergencies or breaches of security to the appropriate test day supervisor.
· Work with the test day supervisor to promote and ensure the wellbeing of candidates at all time. In case of emergencies, follow correct procedures.
· Perform any other duties in line with the role may be required.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicant for the British Council Exams Invigilator should possess a related Diploma
· A good working knowledge of spoken and written English (minimum of B1), as well as the local language. Exam instructions are given in either English or the local language, as defined by the Exam Board. Venue staff may be required to use only English when communicating with both candidates and colleagues at exam venues.
· Punctual and reliable: Schedules are fixed in advance and it is essential that invigilators arrive on time to ensure the exam starts on time.
· Keen attention to detail: Procedures vary for different Exam Boards and types of exams, and these must be followed with precision for each type of exam.
· Customer service and people skills.: Our exam candidates include a wide range of people from different backgrounds who may be nervous on the day of their exam and need to be dealt with politely, confidently, calmly and efficiently. It is essential that our venue staff have the ability to understand and respond effectively to customer needs and deliver high quality service.
· Basic computing skills: Electronic equipment and internet-based software is used to prepare and deliver examinations. It is essential that invigilators be familiar and comfortable using these tools and use the internet on a regular basis.
You will be expected to provide the following upon being employed:
· 3 reference letters. One (1) of these can come from either your current / most recent employer, or from your most recent academic referee.
· Two forms of proof of identification can include : (LC letter, Employment ID, driving permit, National ID, Voters Card, Passport, School or institutional ID)
· Curriculum Vitae (CV) that includes employment history which is fully accounted for, with any gaps in employment (e.g. for travelling) explained.
As an Invigilator, you will be paid hourly based using the following rates:
· Invigilator Ugx 5,000 per hour (Mondays to Saturdays)
· Weekend Ugx 5,600 per hour (Sundays and Public Holidays)
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates who so desire to join the British Council in the aforementioned capacity should endeavor to Apply Online by Clicking on the link below. Please further review job requirements and if competent, proceed with the online application.
Deadline: 31st October 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline