Job Title: Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Officer
Duty Station: Gulu, Uganda
Reports to: Project Coordinator
Trócaire is an Irish development organisation that works through local partners to implement programmes in the organisation’s priority areas of Building Sustainable Livelihoods, Governance & Human Rights and Gender. Trócaire’s programmes in Uganda are managed by a small country team based in the office in Kampala with regular travel to Northern Uganda.
About DGF Project:
Trócaire has secured a second grant from the Democratic Governance Facility (DGF) to implement an 18 month research project Piloting the Protection of Rights to Customary Land in Acholi. The project is being implemented in partnership with the Joint Acholi Sub Region Leaders Forum (JASLF) who provide technical guidance and support to the project through the Technical Committee and the JASLF Secretariat. The goal of the project is to strengthen the security of customary and communal land tenure in Acholiland through piloting new approaches based on research, consultation and advocacy. The project did the first phase research on how Acholi customary and communal land is controlled, managed and administered, by and for whom, it will investigate legal mechanisms to secure customary land rights and created awareness of the findings and implications of the research.
Job Summary: The Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Officer will work in liaison with the Research Coordinator, the Field Researchers, and the Trocaire Kampala office especially the Resource Rights programme to lead M&E on behalf of the project and Trocaire. The jobholder will be responsible for the development, implementation and reporting on the M&E framework of the project. S/he will ensure that all staff and consultants understand the framework and are using it effectively. The incumbent will be responsible for the editing and proofreading of ToRs, manuals and reports. The M&E officer will also support the project coordinator in the production of communications material and progress reports.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Establish and implement a project M&E framework:
· Develop and adopt to Results Based Management (RBM) approach to monitoring and evaluation for project activities in a way that promotes a greater accountability to beneficiaries and donors.
· Offer support to staff on the roll-out of the M&E framework including how to integrate into on-going activities.
· Offer support in the preparation of all monitoring and evaluation reports especially in terms of editing and proof-reading.
· Provide guidance to staff in their progress reports preparation in accordance with approved reporting formats.
· Lead any internal or external evaluation process commissioned by the donor or Trocaire.
· Ensure evaluation recommendations are integrated into project implementation.
Quality Assurance of Research:
· Assist the Research Coordinator to ensure all research tools are appropriate and are clearly understood by the Field Researchers
· Work closely with the Research Coordinator to ensure research tools consider gender, disability and youth in their design and implementation.
· Support the Research Coordinator to ensure field researchers use the tools appropriately including the development of appropriate training material and training workshops.
· Assist the Research Coordinator to develop a clear framework for analysing the research data.
· Offer support to the Research Coordinator to analyse the quantitative and the qualitative data in an objective manner.
· Assist the Research Coordinator in writing of a evidence based reports especially in term of editing and proof reading
· Assist the Research Coordinator to implement and scoping study to select new project focus areas.
· Participate in the recruitment process and support supervision of Field Researchers.
Project Review and Monitoring:
· Assist the Project Coordinator to monitor the implementation of the project activities as per the donor contract and bring any deviation from the original plan to the attention of the Project Coordinator.
· Support the Research Coordinator to monitor the implementation of the research activities as per the work-plan and bring any deviations from original plan to the attention of the Research Coordinator.
· Assist the Project Coordinator in developing and reviewing project work plans.
· Actively participate in the review of the project logic models.
· Advise on the revision of project performance indicators.
· Offer support to the Project Coordinator in the development of project reports especially in terms of proof reading and editing.
· Assist Project Staff in the development of ToRs and reports especially in terms of editing and proof reading.
· Support the Project Coordinator in developing donor reports especially in terms of editing and proof-reading.
· Support the Research Coordinator in developing research reports especially in terms of editing and proof-reading.
· Develop communications material to highlight the successes and challenges of the project to a wide range of stakeholders.
Documentation and information management and sharing:
· Ensure the documentation of learning in a way that all stakeholders in Acholiland can access resources- moved from research coordinator
· Ensure the documentation of learning from the project in such a way it can be used for internal learning in Trocaire.
· Assist the Project Coordinator to develop a dissemination plans for relevant documents in the project.
· Support the process of selecting a method to store project information for future access.
Capacity Building in M&E:
· Identify the need for, and develop trainings for specific capacity building in monitoring and evaluation activities if and when required.
· Support the training of JASLF on M&E issues if requested.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate must hold a University degree in a field related to social sciences and/or development and/or Monitoring and Evaluation.
· A minimum of three years’ experience in monitoring and evaluation.
· A minimum of three years’ experience of working in English language.
· Working knowledge and understanding of the Northern Uganda context
Previous experience of monitoring donor compliance especially in terms of donor reporting.
· Fluency in written and spoken English
· Excellent M&E skills.
· Excellent report writing skills.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
· Computer literacy especially in terms of word processing, spreadsheet and database software
· Good team player - willing to work in a diverse team.
· Independent worker - able to work independently when required.
· Contributes to positive team working
· Confident and diplomatic
· Ability to work under pressure
· Cultural adaptability
· Ability and willingness to travel regularly
· Show commitment to Trocaire vision, mission and values is essential for all staff.
· Previous experience of writing reports in English for a donor.
· Prior experience of monitoring and evaiuating’a Research Project
· Working on a DGF funded project.
· Fluent written and spoken Luo/Acholi
How to Apply:
All candidates are encouraged to send their E-mail applications to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line indicated as “Application for M&E Officer- DGF II.” The application should be attached as a pdf document.
Hand Deliver applications to
Trocaire Gulu Office: at Pece , in the same premise with CARE International, opposite SOS children's Village
Trocaire Kampala Office,
Plot 1812 Mitala Rd, Kansanga- Kampala.
P.O. Box 72721 Clock Towers, Kampala- Uganda.
NB: The hardcopy deliveries should be in a sealed envelope marked Application for M&E Officer-DGF II
Deadline: Friday 14th October 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline