Organization: Aga Khan University (AKU)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Project Director
The Aga Khan University (AKU) is a private, not-for-profit, international University first established in 1983, with 13 teaching sites in eight countries. AKU has seven hospitals and over 250 outreach health centres. The University is a non-denominational institution open to all, irrespective of religion, ethnicity, gender or national origin. Since 2001, AKU has offered academic programmes in nursing, medicine and education for East African Countries. The Aga Khan University will establish a campus in Kampala Uganda.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· In charge of reviewing construction drawings from design and constructability point of view and working closely with design team to understand design intent as well as carrying out value engineering whenever an opportunity arises.
· Responsible for supervising and checking daily, site work related to heating, ventilation and air conditioning, installation of boilers and chillers and air handling units, plumbing and piping works, medical gases system and building management system as well as ensure the work is as per drawings and applicable standards and codes.
· Preparing purchase requisitions, for all mechanical equipment such as chillers, boilers, clarifier, air handlers, terminal units, medical air plants, building management systems, laundry machines, cooking ranges; washers, etc and also obtaining and reviewing technical submittals in coordination with consultants and the Equipment Planner and preparing technical comparative summaries for procurement approvals.
· Measuring quantities of works executed by the contractor(s) at site and verifying contractor’s bills.
· Keenly review the MEP shop drawings prepared by the contractor(s) and report any discrepancy. Gain formal approval before execution. Coordinate with other trades to avoid any coordination problem that may arise during execution of work at site.
· Attending regular site meetings with consultants and contractors to resolve site issues. Give immediate decisions while coordinating with Project Director to avoid any delay.
· Witness commissioning of equipment and systems and prepare the reports.
· Preparing punch list on completion of the work and ensure that all listed items are attended by the contractor(s) before issuance of completion certificate.
· Reviewing and check As-built drawings upon completion of projects, prepare commissioning documents along with operational and maintenance manuals for mechanical works.
· Review operation and maintenance manuals submitted by the contractor and ensure that system write up and complete information including all catalogs are submitted by the contractor as required under the terms of the contract.
· Maintaining and organizing all construction documents such as submittals, test reports, transmittal letters, change orders, memos, shop-drawings and manuals etc.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicant should hold a Bachelors’ Degree in Mechanical Engineering.
· At least five years’ experience in the construction industry, preferably in construction of hospitals and healthcare institutions.
· Highly proficient in using AutoCAD and Revit Electrical or Revit Mechanical.
· Be highly motivated with initiative and strong communication skills.
· Mechanical: HVAC, plumbing system, boiler/steam generators, medical gas system, Building management system; mechanical construction materials, installation methods.
How to Apply:
All ideal candidates are encouraged to send their applications, Curriculum Vitae, names of three referees and copies of certificates & testimonials to email@example.com. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Deadline: 4th November 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline