Job Title: Legal and Corporate Affairs Manager
Organization: National Environment Management Authority (NEMA)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Deputy Executive Director
Job Ref: NEMA/ADV/EXT/09/2016
The National Environment Management Authority (NEMA) was established under the National Environment Act Cap. 153 to promote and ensure sound environmental management practices for sustainable development in Uganda.
Job Summary: The Legal and Corporate Affairs Manager will manage all legal and corporate matters in NEMA and providing legal advice in relation to implementation of environmental law.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Provide legal support and advice to NEMA on issues relating to compliance and enforcement of environmental laws, in collaboration, with directorates, Departments and sections in NEMA and other institutions by;
· In charge of reviewing proposals and options related to compliance and enforcement, including proposals relating to amendment of existing procedures and mechanisms on compliance and enforcement, and prepare advise notes;
· Obtaining and evaluating legal information related to compliance and enforcement from other institutions in the ENR sector and Justice Law and Order Sector;
· Responsible for reviewing information from authoritative sources for the effective operation of a comprehensive compliance and enforcement system and on the implementation of the National Environment Act and Regulations made under the Act;
· In charge of identifying, evaluating and reporting on the relevance and effectiveness of new approaches related to compliance and enforcement, including related developments in other environmental laws;
· In charge of participating in various NEMA and inter-agency committees to review compliance and enforcement-related issues;
· Providing legal support for the conduct of hearings and the receipt of expert testimony during administrative review processes;
· Providing legal advice regarding the provision of due process and receipt of appeals;
· In charge of monitoring the implementation of and compliance with the National Environment Act and regulations made under the Act.
Providing legal support to Board and Corporate Affairs by;
· Preparing draft provisional schedule and agenda of meetings of the NEMA Board and the Policy Committee on the Environment;
· Providing legal support at meetings of the NEMA Board, the Policy Committee on the Environment and related institutional set-ups;
· Taking minutes of the NEMA Board and the Policy Committee on the Environment on behalf of the Executive Director;
· In charge of coordinating implementation of the decisions of the NEMA Board and the Policy Committee on the Environment.
Providing legal support to legislative drafting processes by;
· Coordinating the review of environmental laws NEMA is responsible for;
· In charge of proposing and drafting amendments to or revision of existing environmental laws and advising on new environmental laws;
· Drafting of guidelines for implementation of the National Environment Act and regulations made under the Act;
· Initiating legislation in new and emerging areas of multi sectoral concerns;
· Ensuring liaison with the Ministry of Justice and Constitution Affairs on the final drafting of environmental legislation and other legal instruments to be gazetted;
· Providing legal guidance and advise during the harmonization of environmental laws, related laws and policies;
· Interpreting or advising on the interpretation of the National Environment Act,
· Regulations made under the Act and related laws.
Providing legal support to Multi-lateral Environmental Agreements, Treaties and Conventions by;
· Participating in the negotiation, drafting and implementation of Multi-lateral Environmental Agreements, Treaties and Conventions;
· Working closely with sectoral institutions and regional and international agencies on international environmental law concerns.
Advising on and undertaking litigation by;
· Representing NEMA in Courts of Law and other related fora;
· Working closely with Uganda Police Force and the Ministry of Justice and Constitutional Affairs in enforcement of environmental law and in handling of cases regarding environmental crime;
· In charge of reviewing and provide advice on the impact of the court decisions on NEMA.
Undertaking awareness raising and capacity building on environmental law, by;
· Carrying out workshops and sensitization seminars on environmental law for different stakeholders;
· Involvement in community sensitization workshops.
Training on and assisting in the formulation of bye laws and ordinances for local governments;
Guiding on, negotiating and drafting contracts, other agreements and MOUs for NEMA;
General advisory and managerial roles, including;
· Preparing legal opinions and briefs regarding the interpretation and implementation of the National Environment Act and regulations made under the Act, and administrative rules and regulations
· Supervising legal students/interns preparing papers on substantive legal issues;
· In charge of presenting conference papers on environmental law issues;
· Works closely with directorates, departments and sections in NEMA and in other institutions, private sector, civil society and international agencies or partners to exchange experiences in legal issues;
· Providing support for the general management and administration of the Legal Affairs, including providing advice on priorities and work plans for Legal Affairs; coordinating legal-related projects.
· Perform any other duties that may be assigned by the Supervisor.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate for the NEMA Legal and Corporate Affairs Manager career opportunity should hold a Bachelor’s degree in Law from a recognized University;
· Possession of a Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice.
· A Master’s Degree in Environmental Law, Oil and Gas Law or related Law field is a MUST
· The applicant must be enrolled as an advocate of the High Court of Uganda.
· Possess a valid practicing certificate, except if working in a government institution
· A minimum of eight years of post-qualification relevant professional working experience, three of which should be in mid-managerial level.
· Knowledge of relevant laws that govern environment;
· Good management and supervisory skills
· Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
· The capacity to draft clear concise high quality reports or documents relating to areas of professional expertise.
· Familiarity with and experience in the use of various research methodologies and sources.
· Ability to plan, develop, implement, monitor and evaluate projects.
· The capacity to demonstrate success in analyzing complex professional issues and developing well-reasoned, innovative solutions to associated challenges.
· Ability to provide sound technical advice to management.
· Good morals and high level of integrity.
· High level of confidentiality.
· Good coordinating/ networking and negotiation skills
· Ability to establish good interpersonal skills and ability to maintain effective working relations in a diverse cultural institution.
· Ability to gain the assistance and cooperation of others through the demonstration of leadership.
· Willingness to keep abreast of and promote new developments in the legal field.
· Good conceptual understanding of technology in the workplace and ability to use relevant software and other applications and equipment relevant to the post.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their hand written applications together with copies of certificates/ testimonials and detailed curriculum vitae indicating three professional referees addressed to:-
The Executive Director,
National Environment Management Authority (NEMA),
NEMA House, Plot 17/19/21 Jinja Road,
P.O. Box 22255, Kampala. Uganda
Deadline: 11th October, 2016
Note: The job title applied for should be printed at the top left hand side of the envelope. Applicants, who will not have heard from us by 30th November 2016, should consider their applications unsuccessful.
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline