Job Title: Internal Audit & Compliance Officer
Organisation: Marie Stopes International (MSI)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Marie Stopes International (MSI) is an international non-profit organisation providing personalised contraception and safe post-abortion care services to women and girls. Our local teams of professionals are passionate about the work they do in communities across 37 countries. The services we provide give a woman the power to choose when she has children so that she is free pursue her plans and dreams for herself and her family.
Job Summary: The Internal Audit & Compliance Officer will conduct an ongoing independent appraisal of the effectiveness of the policies, procedures and standards by which the organisation’s financial, physical and information resources are managed. You will add value by acting as a facilitator in business risk management and carrying out value for money reviews, thereby assisting the organisation in the effective discharge of its responsibilities.
· Audit Planning:
o Provide input into the preparation of the annual audit work plan & to carry out audits spanning all major business areas.
o The incumbent will develop relevant audit programs in consultation with management of the relevant service delivery channels.
o Prepare and retain comprehensive audit working papers.
· Results Management and Implementation: Make recommendations on the systems, processes, operations and procedures being reviewed.
· Identifying Operational Risks & testing controls: Keenly analyse risks in relation to each process reviewed and test the effectiveness of the control design and whether the controls are operating effectively.
· Regular Reporting: Keenly review the annual financial statements and determine whether they are complete and consistent and assess whether they reflect appropriate accounting principles.
· Monitoring and Reporting of Economy, Efficiency and Effectiveness: Reviewing and appraising the economy, effectiveness and efficiency with which resources are employed and identify opportunities to improve operating performance.
· Review of IT: Assess the entity’s IT Systems including the design and operating effectiveness of the automated, IT dependant manual controls and the effectiveness of the IT General Controls.
· Compliance: Measuring compliance with the entity’s policies and procedures; donor requirements/agreements and relevant laws and regulations.
· Fraud: Investigate occurrences of fraud, embezzlement, theft, waste and bring such occurrences to the attention of the Internal Auditor.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate should preferably hold a Bachelor’s degree in a Business related course, Economics, Statistics from a recognised University.
· Partial Professional qualification (e.g. ACCA, CPA)
· Certification in any of the following: Certified Internal Auditor (CIA), Certified Public Accountant (CPA) and Certified Information System Auditor (CISA) will be an added advantage.
· A minimum of two to three years of internal or external audit experience.
· Previous exposure and experience using and implementing audit procedures, including planning, techniques, test and sampling methods.
· Experience using computerized accounting and auditing record keeping systems (e.g. SUN, Vision XL)
· Experience working within donor funded organisations.
· Demonstrable experience of establishing and maintaining effective working relationships internally and externally.
· Previous experience preparing accurate audit findings reports for presentation to Senior Management.
· Excellent communication skills, able to communicate and influence at all levels of the organisation (both verbally and written)
· Thorough knowledge of the principles, procedures and practises of accounting, financial records and transactions
· Broad knowledge and understanding of current internal audit legislation with the ability to maintain up to date knowledge and sharing developments with colleagues
· Possess strong coaching skills
· Able to work as part of an effective team.
· Able to work unsupervised and maintain motivation.
· Excellent organizational skills with the ability to work under pressure
· Able to work autonomously, plan and prioritise own workload
· Able to effectively adapt to a variety of working environments.
· Attitude / Motivation:
· Successful performance at MSI is not simply defined in terms of ‘what’ people achieve, but equally is about ‘how’ people go about their jobs and the impact that they have on others. We encourage and expect all team members will demonstrate the following behaviours:
· Initiative: Thinking ahead and taking action to make the most of opportunities by finding the optimum solution
· Innovative: Thinking creatively and outside of the box so that ideas generated create a positive outcome
· Effective Communication: Communicating through active listening and good questioning techniques, using appropriate body language, ensuring information is clear and concise.
· Responsive: Being responsive to changing priorities and demands
· Working Efficiently: Planning, prioritising and organising work to ensure work is accurate and deadlines are met
· Sharing Information: Sharing information and knowledge whilst maintaining confidentiality
· Focus on Learning: Taking responsibility for keeping knowledge and skills updated and for seeking opportunities to develop further
· Commitment: Awareness and understanding of goals, vision and values and how your role impacts on this and going the extra mile to meet role requirements
· Driven: Drive and determination to deliver results
· Accountable: Taking responsibility for appropriate decisions that you make, and the actions and behaviour you demonstrate
· Embracing Change: Openness to embracing change within the organisation and being able to adjust plans/activities accordingly
· Motivated: Motivation towards achieving quality results to maximise potential
· Team Player: Working as part of a team by being supportive, flexible and showing respect for each other
The Internal Audit & Compliance Officer is required to demonstrate MSU’s core values of:
· Accountability of all staff to each other and our clients and stakeholders
· Equality of opportunity and access
· Value for money in the management of our resources
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates are strongly encouraged to apply online at the link below.
Click Here -> Select Apply Online option with this Position Title
Deadline: 4th November, 2016 by 12:00 am
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline