Job Title: General Secretary
Organization: Uganda Cooperative Alliance (UCA)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Board of Directors
Established in 1981, Uganda Cooperative Alliance Ltd, (UCA) is an umbrella organization representing all registered cooperatives in Uganda. As the voice of the cooperative movement, UCA serves as the main cooperative policy advisor for the government and implements various development projects that focus on lobbying, advocacy, and capacity building for all types of cooperatives, including primary societies and district and national unions. Current projects include the Farmer’s Voice Project, which strengthens the capacity of participating POs to participate in policy discussions and advocate for their interests at the district and national levels. UCA also implemented the Maximizing Co-operators Benefits through Value Chain Linkages Project, which increased access to financial services for participating POs across 43 districts, and increased linkages across value chains.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Play a leading role in the formulation of strategic and business plans and their implementation
· The incumbent will mobilize resources for the development work in the cooperative movement.
· Further promote UCA’s quest and the cooperative movement to achieve self-sustainability and for the whole cooperative movement in Uganda.
· The jobholder is responsible for consolidating the gains made by the cooperative movement right from the grass root to the apex level by continuing with the on-going reforms
· Sustain and improve the international image of the UCA and the cooperative movement as a whole
· Take lead in the lobbying for improvement in a more conducive environment for cooperative growth
· Take lead in the design and formulation of projects, monitor implementation and reporting to its members and partners.
· Continue with on-going reforms in the cooperative movement in order to further strengthen it
· Responsible for the day to day management of the organization.
· The jobholder will represent the Cooperative movement within and outside Uganda.
· Increase internal resource generation to strengthen the self-reliance and self-sustainability of the UCA.
· Act as the secretary of the Board of Directors.
· Implement Board and AGM resolutions.
· Further strengthen existing ties with the various government ministries and development partners (current and new).
· Sustain the family ties within the family of cooperators within the country, region and internationally
· Represent UCA and the cooperative movement in various forums.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicant must hold a post graduate degree preferably in Agricultural Economics or Economics or MBA from a recognized University.
· A minimum of five years’ experience in management of a busy and successful cooperative society at National level with bias in development.
· Adequate computer skills.
· Previous experience in strategic planning
· International exposure in the cooperative world
· Demonstrated success in his/her personal business
· Broad knowledge and understanding of on-going reforms within UCA and in the cooperative movement as a whole
· A person with initiative and self-drive
· A person who can weather through the challenges posed by internal and external reforms
· Must have passion for rural development
· Person must be in very good health
· Impeccable level of integrity.
· Good team player and a person of integrity
· Person with stamina, good judgment and maturity
Age Limit: Between 40 -55 years
How to Apply:
All qualified candidates should send their applications in own handwriting with copies of relevant documents should be submitted to the General Secretary not later than the 15th November 2016. All applications should be addressed to;
The General Secretary,
Uganda Cooperative Alliance Ltd,
Plot 46/47 Nkrumah Rd,
P.O. Box 2215 Kampala. Uganda
Deadline: 15th November, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline