Job Title: Public Information Officer
Organization: International Organization for Migration (IOM)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Job Grade: NO-A
Reports to: Chief of Mission
Ref: SVN: 01/10/016
The International Organization for Migration (IOM), established in 1951, is the leading international intergovernmental organization dealing with migration. IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· The incumbent will provide information and inputs to the Mission on communication issues and priorities.
· Actively contribute to the Mission’s day-to-day communications plan and websites operation. Update, maintain, prepare, create, edit, manage, and publish news and information, web content, and social media updates.
· Contribute towards the coordination of the Mission’s PI activities with IOM Headquarters to optimize outreach.
· Produce content for international audiences in the form of human interest stories from the field, photographs, videos, clips, and migration stories for IOM. Coordinate the collection of PI assets including photos and stories from the field to be used in a comprehensive PI strategy for the Mission.
· Contribute to the inclusion of appropriate gender awareness in IOM Uganda communications.
· Draft copy, news, web pages, social media updates, and other content targeted at the media, the public at large, and UN agencies.
· Carry out PI training for IOM Uganda staff and build internal PI capacity.
· Travel to the field to collect photographs, videos, and stories that highlight IOM Uganda’s presence and overall strategy. Participate in key mission events and workshops as needed.
· Offer support in preparing and editing news releases, briefing notes, media talking points, and other informational materials.
· The incumbent will generate timely and engaging social media content including text, photos, and other media for use across a range of integrated online platforms.
· The incumbent will write, edit, and disseminate PI materials to the public, the media, educational institutions, UN agencies, non-governmental agencies and donors.
· Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate for the International Organization for Migration IOM Public Information Officer career placement should hold a Bachelor’s Degree with two years of relevant experience OR Master´s degree in journalism or a related field from an accredited academic institution.
· At least two years’ experience in public information and media and communications;
· Demonstrated high competency as a writer and editor in English;
· Knowledge of graphic design, web, social media, and video production;
· Familiarity with international organizations;
· Demonstrated experience with photography, Adobe creative suite, and Final Cut Pro.
· Languages: English (fluent). Working knowledge of other UN languages.
· Accountability-Follows all relevant procedures, processes, and policies; Meets deadline, cost, and quality requirements for outputs; Monitors own work to correct errors
· Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders; Effectively interfaces with government officials of appropriate level on matters related to substantive migration issues and the work of IOM
· Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others; Demonstrates interest in improving relevant skills; Demonstrates interest in acquiring skills relevant to other functional areas
· Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience; Writes clearly and effectively, adjusting wording to the intended audience
· Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programs or services; Actively seeks new ways of improving programs or services ; Proactively develops new ways to resolve problems
· Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders; Convinces others to share resources
· Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility; Identifies risks and makes contingency plans; Adjusts priorities and plans to achieve goals; Allocates appropriate times and resources for own work and that of team members
· Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter; Effectively applies knowledge of migration issues within organizational context; Persistent, calm, and polite in the face of challenges and stress
· Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation; Contributes to, and follows team objectives; Seeks input and feedback from others
· Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions; Proactively identifies and advocates for cost-efficient technology solutions
· Drives and fosters understanding of Media and Communications concepts amongst key personnel in IOM;
· Correctly and effectively applies knowledge of traditional and social media;
· Interfaces across units and departments within IOM to extract relevant information.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their updated resumes, evidence of previous works and three references electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org
· Please note that CFC/01/08/016 has been cancelled and replaced with SVN/01/10/016 and all those that had responded to it are advised to reapply.
· Please include the POSITION TITLE in the subject line of the email and ensure to send your attachments as one document in PDF and the title of your attachment should be your full names
· If you receive a notification of non-delivery of your email, please forward your application to email@example.com
Deadline: 27th October, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline