Organization: Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation (EGPAF)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Study Consultant
The Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation (EGPAF) seeks to end pediatric HIV/AIDS through research, advocacy, and prevention and treatment programs. We are a global leader in the fight against pediatric HIV and AIDS, working in 15 countries and at 7,000 sites around the world to prevent the transmission of HIV to children, and to help those already infected. Today, because of the highly successful work of the Foundation and its partners over the last 25 years, pediatric AIDS has been virtually eliminated in the United States and new infections in children have declined by 58% worldwide. EGPAF Uganda Country program is currently implementing a number of projects in partnership with various donors.
Job Summary: The Research Assistant will be supervised by the Study Consultant. The Incumbent will work closely with the Principal Investigator and the DELTA Uganda team. He/she collects and processes research data in support of a study to Develop and Validate a Pediatric and Adolescent HIV Testing Eligibility Screening Tool for Health Care Providers in Uganda. He/she arranges and conducts field interviews as appropriate to the study, and records research data in accordance with specified protocol and procedures. Travels to the sites within a specified geographical area, as assigned and as appropriate to the objectives of the study.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Actively participates in a training on study-specifics and ethical procedures
· Travels to the health facilities participating in the study and works closely with health care workers for the entire study duration
· Identifies potential study participants, assesses eligibility and recruits them
· Carries out informed consent processes with potential participants according to the study procedures
· Develops interview schedules; identifies potential subjects, arranges and conducts interviews in accordance with pre-determined interview guidelines, data collection procedures, and documentation standards.
· As appropriate to the specified position, codes and verifies data in accordance with the study data management standard operating procedures (SOPs), and enters data into the data collection paper tools
· Ensures that data collected are accurate, complete, properly handled and stored in accordance with study SOPs and confidentiality stipulations
· Performs any other miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicant for the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation (EGPAF) Research Assistant job placement should hold a Bachelor’s degree in Statistics, Population Studies Demography, Epidemiology and other related disciplines, including Social Sciences and Public Health
· Prior experience in research methods and data management
· Skills in HIV/AIDS counseling and testing
· Must have passed both English and Mathematics at ‘O’ Level
· Knowledge of MOH facility data collection registers and HMIS tools
· Skills in identifying and recruiting research subjects.
· Good interviewing and data collection skills.
· Ability to understand and apply specified field and/or laboratory research procedures and protocols (for the Laboratory Assistant)
· Ability to evaluate, verify, and edit research data
· Ability to work in a team (good team player)
· Excellent communication skills
· Able to work long hours
· Able to work in any part of the country
· Languages: Applicants must be able to read and write in English as well as in one of the following languages: Alur, Ateso, Luganda, Runyakole and Rutooro.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates are encouraged to send apply online at the link below.
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline