Job Title: Assistant Accountant
Organization: Makerere University Regional Center for Crop Improvement (MaRCCI)
Funding Source: World Bank
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
The World Bank is funding a USD 6-million Makerere University Regional Center For Crop Improvement (MaRCCI). The goal of MaRCCI is to strengthen Makerere University to deliver quality post-graduate education in Crop Improvement and build collaborative research capacity in the regional priority areas.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· The incumbent will receive and review invoices/payment requests submitted for payment.
· Prepare payment vouchers in accordance with laid down procedures.
· Maintain a filling system relating to all financial and administrative information/documents.
· Ensure that payment documents are properly stamped and paid
· Offer support in recording financial transactions in IT based accounting software
· Support the Team Leader in preparing and monitoring budgets for projects and project activities.
· Assist in the preparation of bank reconciliations.
· Offer support in compiling and updating Project Assets Register.
· Render support in coordinating and analyzing monthly financial reports and recommending appropriate financial actions.
· (j) Preparing and Maintaining Financial and Audit Reports and Records.
· (k) Ensuring regular and timely submission of Financial Statements and reports.
· Providing effective financial management advice to Scientists.
· Support Scientists in preparing research budgets and expenditure schedules in accordance with laid down procedures.
· Perform any other duty as assigned by the Team Leader/Director.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicant must hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Commerce (Accounting), Business Administration (Accounting) or any other relevant discipline from a recognized University.
· Possession of a Master’s Degree and familiarity with Centre of Excellence operations is desired
· Professional Accounting courses like CPA, ACCA and CIFA Stage One is an advantage
· A minimum of two years of proven relevant experience, skills and knowledge is required.
· Ability to communicate effectively with a range of people and organization both orally and in writing is required.
· Highly developed problem solving and organization skills, with an ability to meet competing deadlines.
· Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with others.
· Ability to manage and support management of financial and operational resources.
· Age: Below 45 years.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their applications addressed to the Director, MaCCI, CV and relevant certified copies of academic papers in sealed envelopes should be hand delivered to the Office of the Principal, Makerere University, College of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences (CAES), Room 53. All candidates should request two (2) referees to forward letters of support for their application. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
Deadline: 14th October 2016 by 5:00PM
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline