Job Title: Finance Officer
Organization: Mercy Corps
Project Name: PEPFAR Safe Work, Life Skills and Market Connections to Decrease HIV Risk for Young Women (SKY) Project
Duty Station: Gulu, Lira, Oyam, Uganda
Mercy Corps is an International non-profit organization that has been operating in Uganda since 2006 and works to catalyze change makers within the Ugandan private sector, civil society and government to create economically dynamic, healthy and secure communities. Our works focus on building resilience and enable economic growth, improve opportunities to attain better health and nutrition, and improved governance and conflict management. We implement programs in the northern districts of Pader, Kitgum, Agago, Lamwo, Kaabong, Abim and Kotido with funding from USAID, USDA, Walmart Foundation, SDC, DFID as well as other private donations.
About PEPFAR SKY Program:
Mercy Corps received funding for a two-year PEPFAR DREAMS program, Cultivating Safe Work, Life Skills and Market Connections to Decrease HIV Risk for Young Women (SKY) seeking to address the growing rate of HIV/AIDS among young women (ages 19 -24) who engage in transactional sex in the Gulu, Lira and Oyam Districts. SKY will reduce 4,500 young women’s reliance on transactional sex by providing them the skills, confidence and connections needed to achieve steady employment.
Job Summary: The Finance Officer is responsible for assigned field office finances, compliance, budget monitoring, reporting, resources management, coordination with others, etc. The incumbent is also tasked with the updating and tracking all assets and finance files. He/she ensures segregation of duties; procedures are respected as per MC policies.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· The incumbent will comply with all Mercy Corps policies, procedures, and documentation requirements;
· The jobholder will implement and ensure all Mercy Corps FFM, procurement, assets mgt, HR policies and procedures are implemented;
· Ensure all respective donors and local Gov’t rules and regulations are respected;
· Ensure compliance with GAAPs, Ugandan and US law and standard accounting practice;
· Responsible for monitoring costs as per the available grant and budget details and monthly budgets vs actual reports;
· Provide on-going orientation, training and support to SKY program activities;
· Keenly review and track all grants/budget purchases and contracts and other commitments for the office;
· Provide financial review for all advances, purchase requests, quotation analysis, purchase orders, expense report, payment requests and others within his/her limit;
· Code all expenditures following the standard chart of accounts, coded budget and record to the accounting software or recording system and send to main office for review and posting every week;
· Match invoices with GRN and other required documents;
· Prepare weekly and monthly cash requirement for the office, send to main office and make sure sufficient cash is available for the office;
· Manage cash and bank payments, record them and reconcile with bank statements and cash counts;
· The incumbent will make surprise, weekly and monthly cash counts and document them as per the current MC policy;
· Reconcile bank balances with bank statement, all advances and send to main office with month end transactions and report;
· Ensure all field level income taxes, withholding taxes, VAT and other taxes are withheld and paid accordingly;
· Actively participate in preparation of operating and grant budgets;
· Make frequent site visits and work with the program team for physical check and to ensure payments are being made accordingly and procurements are properly made whenever necessary;
· Maintain all donor files and ensure they are well labeled, fully updated with all contracts, submitted reports, governing clauses and all other relevant documents;
· Be adaptable and flexible to take new tasks and new assignments as requested from time to time;
· Carry himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission;
· Perform any other tasks to be assigned by the supervisor.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate for the Mercy Corps Finance Officer job opportunity should a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in accounting or finance is required.
· At least four years’ experience in grants and financial management and accounting.
· A minimum of three years international NGO/PVO experience is preferred.
· Broad knowledge and understanding of USG rules and regulations is required.
· Strong accounting skills and experience, including management of the general ledger, journal entries, payroll, payables and balance sheet.
· Previous experience and skill with financial reports preparation and presentation and proven ability to translate technical financial data into informative reports.
· Advanced computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel and accounting software experience.
· Prior management experience and strong organizational skills preferred.
· Excellent oral and written English skills
· Willingness to travel regularly to Mercy Corps and sub grantees field offices and project sites.
How to Apply:
All prospective Ugandans who wish to join Mercy Corps are encouraged to send their applications via email including a cover letter clearly stating your salary requirements, CV (with 3 referees), and copies of academic qualifications/certificates to email@example.com addressed to the Senior HR and Legal Manager, Kampala Head Office on 4th Floor Embassy Plaza, Plot 1188-1190 Ggaba Road.
Deadline: 17th October, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline