Job Title: Senior Communication Officer
Organization: International Rescue Committee (IRC)
Duty Station: Uganda
Reports to: Protection Coordinator
The International Rescue Committee helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover, and gain control of their future. It was created by Albert Einstein more than 80 years and has been working in Uganda since 1998. It has particularly working in the conflict zones where tens of thousands of people have been kills and over 1.6 million displaced. Following a peace agreement in 2006, Ugandans are returning home and looking to rebuild their lives. The IRC is there to protect women and children from violence and exploitation by fostering a safe environment and encouraging education, and is supporting farmers and small businesses, and helping communities promote peace and long-term development.
Job Summary: The Senior Communication Officer will be responsible for providing direct support for the implementation of the activities related to communication Boda Boda Talk Talk (BBTT), including messaging development, coordination with internal and external stakeholders and development of a relevant communication covering all zones of Bidibidi settlement. This will include capacity building and day-to-day supervision and support of the BBTT team. The Senior Communication Officer will also coordinate the activities of the communication officers, volunteers and BBTT drivers in the field, providing information materials and constantly monitoring and improving this pilot activity, in addition to ensuring that the activities of the BBTT communication team link to the other broader Protection and Rule of Law program.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· The jobholder will manage, support and coach the BBTT communication team, mainly the communication officers
· The incumbent will manage all the activities of the BBTT team through close supervision, follow up and daily meetings
· Coordinate closely with the Legal Officer, Protection officers and Community Engagement Officers/ Managers and other internal and external stakeholders to make sure the communication team is provided with updated information about available services to refugees and ongoing or upcoming events in the settlements;
· Serve as a focal point for receiving and following up on overall messaging needs from partners in the settlement and ensure quality and relevance of messaging for the refugee community
· Develop and implement an awareness strategy according to identified needs from the refugee community
· Support the M&E team for communication data collection (quantitative and qualitative)
· Handle all admin and finance matters related to the BBTT communication team;
· Regularly monitor and evaluate the work of the BBTT team
· Perform other duties, as needed or requested by the supervisor.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate for the International Rescue Committee (IRC) Senior Communication Officer career vacancy should hold a Bachelor’s Degree in journalism, social sciences or communication
· A minimum of two years of prior professional experience in a similar post, preferably with an international organization focused on communication/ journalism.
· Good protection background and knowledge of refugee context.
· Strong management and organizational skills.
· Excellent time management skills and ability to meet deadlines.
· Good interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a team, as well as independently.
· Flexible and able to work in a dynamic and diverse environment.
· Must be computer literate (Microsoft Word, Excel and audacity/recording software).
· Language Skills: Excellent drafting and oral communication skills in English.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their applications online at the link below.
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline