Job Title: Electrical Engineer
Organization: Aga Khan University (AKU)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Project Director
The Aga Khan University (AKU) is a private, not-for-profit, international University first established in 1983, with 13 teaching sites in eight countries. AKU has seven hospitals and over 250 outreach health centres. The University is a non-denominational institution open to all, irrespective of religion, ethnicity, gender or national origin. Since 2001, AKU has offered academic programmes in nursing, medicine and education for East African Countries. The Aga Khan University will establish a campus in Kampala Uganda.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Responsible for reviewing and checking design development drawings, specifications & B.O.Q while working closely with consultants to become familiar with the design as well as carry out value engineering whenever an opportunity
· Preparing purchase requisitions for all imported electrical and biomedical equipment as well as obtaining and reviewing technical submittals in coordination with consultants and equipment planner and preparing technical comparative summary for procurement approvals.
· Supervising and checking daily site works related to electrical such as general conduiting and wiring, lighting/lighting fixtures, distribution system, motor control centers, isolated power panel, automatic transfer switches, genets, transformers, electronics system such as fire alarm, nurse call system, paging, surveillance system, uninterruptable power supplies, building management system and IT infrastructure such as Voice, Data, Access control systems etc.
· Checking contractor’s shop drawings/design drawings and report any discrepancy noted to the concerned specialty. Coordinate with other trades to avoid any coordination problem that may arise during execution of work at site.
· Measuring quantities of works executed by the contractor at site and verifying contractors’ bills.
· Attending regular site meetings with consultants and contractors to resolve site issues and ensure immediate decisions while coordinating with the project manager to avoid any delay.
· In charge of preparing a punch list on completion of the work and ensure that all punch list items are attended by the contractor before issue of completion certificate.
· Reviewing and checking As-built drawings upon completion of project, prepare commissioning documents along with operational and maintenance manuals for electrical works.
· Reviewing operation and maintenance manuals submitted by the contractor and ensuring system write-up and complete information including all catalogs are submitted by the contractor as required under the terms of the contract.
· Maintaining and organizing all construction documents such as submittals, test reports, transmittal letters, change orders, memos, design and shop- drawings, manuals etc.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicant should hold a Bachelors’ Degree in Electrical Engineering
· At least five years’ experience in the construction industry, preferably in construction of hospitals and healthcare institutions.
· Highly proficient in using AutoCAD and Revit Electrical or Revit Mechanical.
· Be highly motivated with initiative and strong communication skills.
· Strong technical understanding of; Electrical: Electronics and Biomedical system and equipment generally found in hospital environment.
How to Apply:
All ideal candidates are encouraged to send their applications, Curriculum Vitae, names of three referees and copies of certificates & testimonials to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Deadline: 4th November 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline