Job Title: Regional Security Manager
Reports to: Head of East Africa
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda or Nairobi, Kenya
Salary Range: £38,000 - £45,000 gross per year + benefits
Saferworld is an independent international organisation working to prevent violent conflict and build safer lives. We work with local people affected by conflict to improve their safety and sense of security. We do this by supporting effective policies and practices through advocacy, research and policy development, and through supporting the actions of others. We have a strong thematic focus to our conflict prevention work prioritising: people’s security and access to justice services; gender norms that cause and perpetuate violent conflict; the impact of external conflict drivers including weapons flows; conflict-sensitive political, economic, development, and security engagement; and inclusive and accountable governance and peacebuilding processes.
Job Summary: The Regional Security Manager will support Saferworld by:
· Ensuring the Africa country teams and programmes are provided a safe and secure working environment and mitigation of security threats.
· Monitoring, coordinating and advising on the regional security context and the long-term implementation of security strategy and management including conflict and risk analysis.
· Managing security assessments and development of security systems for new programme locations and areas.
· Taking the lead in supporting the design and use of key documents, tools and procedures for ensuring security management and compliance.
· Strengthening senior management’s understanding of risks and safety within the context of operation and the evolving environments. This includes producing analyses of field findings with an emphasis on areas with programmatic and operational implications.
· Raising Saferworld staff awareness about safety and security, and ensure that Saferworld takes all necessary steps to minimise risks and mitigate the impact of safety and security events.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Carry out security assessments for each regional country programme. Determine and assess the specific threats to Saferworld staff, programmes and assets.
· Conduct security assessments for new areas of engagement within the region.
· Identify systems, procedures and resources to mitigate risk to acceptable levels.
· Develop and monitor a prioritised implementation plan of recommended risk mitigation measures.
· Ensure mechanisms are in place to enable security costs are included in all project proposals.
· Provide input into country annual plans regarding security context and risk mitigation. Assist Saferworld management in drawing up annual security budgets.
· Ensure that proposals and other programme documents are sensitive to the relevant security context and challenges and that sufficient budgetary resources are devoted to security.
· Review and provide technical input into all programme development documents.
· Offer technical support to Country Managers and Country Directors on security management decisions and processes, including supporting security threat assessments and risk reduction.
· Guide on mainstreaming security in project planning, budgeting, implementation, monitoring and evaluation.
· Ensure that appropriate security systems and procedures are in place and fully operational in all locations in the region where Saferworld works.
· Work closely with Saferworld’s national security staff and other security providers to ensure relevant information updates are provided to the relevant staff.
· Attend relevant security briefings and meetings and share with Saferworld management any relevant updates.
· Liaise with relevant security providers (NSP, INSO, etc.) on behalf of Saferworld and ensure information/updates/alerts are provided to the relevant staff.
· Develop and review travel protocols to high risk areas as well as tracking tools and advise Saferworld management.
· Review travel requests to high risk areas and provide security advice to Saferworld staff and management.
· The incumbent will assess all current, new or proposed Saferworld office sites to ensure minimum security standards are established and met.
· Support the procurement committee on procurement of security related items and services, (i.e. taxi and transportation, approved accommodation, radios, etc.)
· Serve as the focal point for investigations involving security; prepare reports and note follow up action.
· Ensure crisis management plans are in place in each location. Support national security officers and security focal points in implementing these plans.
· Be on call on a 24 hours a day, 7 days a week basis in case of emergencies.
· Act as Incident Manager during any incidents and emergencies.
· Serve as main focal point and liaison dealing with incidents
· Oversee post-incident reviews and lessons learnt.
· Report any significant security incidents to senior management; undertake a full investigation, and recommend a course of action in consultation with the management team.
· Manage security incidents, working with national security officers, management and involved staff.
· Undertake the security lead role on Crisis Management Teams.
· Ensure all country contingency plans are relevant and kept up to date.
· Ensure the appropriate level of training is provided and logged and reviews of security knowledge/capacity are conducted for all national security officers and security focal point staff.
· Maintain up-to-date training plans for all security staff.
· Provide training to Saferworld staff based on security plans and relevant contextual issues.
· Ensure security briefings for visitors to the region take place
· Develop relevant security training and implementation plans.
· Be a mentor and capacity builder for security team members in each country and location to ensure security remains a key priority in all programming considerations.
Harmonization and streamlining of regional security protocols:
· Integrate security protocols, plans and templates into a regional structure
· Develop and harmonize safety and security related protocols in terms of format and structure
· Revise and upgrade protocols as needed based on experience in the field and changing context.
Recruitment and induction of security staff:
· Work closely with country managers to design JDs/TORs for new security positions.
· Participate in recruitment/interview panels for security positions.
· Provide induction and briefings for new security staff.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicant should have significant and proven experience of managing and advising on security and safety matters within development/humanitarian INGOs or the donor community within Saferworld’s areas of operation in Africa.
· Recognised security management qualifications and sound knowledge of security best practice.
· Broad knowledge and understanding of the security contexts in the areas where Saferworld engages in Africa, and Saferworld’s programmatic approach and potential security risks associated with this work.
· An established network in the security environment where Saferworld works.
· Strong management and leadership skills together with excellent communication, influencing negotiating and engagement skills.
· Sound judgement and decision making skills, with a ‘hands on’, problem solving approach, able to remain calm under pressure and take control of incidents.
· Proven training and mentoring experience.
· Previous experience of writing procedures, drafting reports and preparing business cases.
· Experience of handling information and data in the field of security management and risk assessment.
· IT skills and an understanding of electronic security systems.
· Excellent knowledge of English, written and spoken.
· Ability to travel widely and frequently within region.
Terms and Conditions: A work permit is required for both countries
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates are encouraged to send a complete application form, download here and send to firstname.lastname@example.org (please use subject heading: Regional Security Manager)
Deadline: 6th November 2016 by 5pm (Uganda time)
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline