Job Title: Deputy Head Finance and Administration
Organisation: Infectious Diseases Institute (IDI)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Head Finance and Administration
The Infectious Diseases Institute (IDI) is an international non-profit organization which is a partnership of infectious diseases and public health specialists. The overall objective of the IDI is to strengthen health systems with strong emphasis on Infectious Diseases, through Research and Capacity Development. IDI has five operational areas through which it works to achieve its mission: Prevention, Care and Treatment; Training, Research and Laboratory services (provided through a partnership with the Makerere University - John Hopkins University Core Lab) and Outreach.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Offer support in the development of the institutional annual budgets.
· Prepare monthly, quarterly and ad-hoc strategic financial management reports, hold discussion with budget holders, keeping complete documentation of variances, their causes, and any corrective action.
· Assist the HOD Finance & Administration to research, and innovatively produce sound strategic financial analysis for management and board.
· Maintain and strengthen IDI's professional relationship with bankers, auditors, the Uganda Revenue Authority (URA) and funders ensuring compliance in all finance and administration operations.
· Lead institutional audits, draft management responses and implement audit recommendations.
· Actively contribute to risk assessment in the Finance and Administration department, ensuring that the department's risk register is up to date and that the identified mitigating controls are working effectively and any contingency plans are in place.
· Significantly contribute to institutional risk assessment and respond to internal audit reviews ensuring sound internal controls are functioning and effective.
· Lead continuous systems improvement, ensuring optimal use and improvement of existing EPR system.
· Design and provide training to Dl staff and sub grantees on financial management,
· Gather and share with IDI management strategic information relating to finance, risk, HR, applicable standards and lessons learned.
· Offer support to the HOD Finance & Administration in maintaining adequate liquidity, and developing cash flows and forecasts.
· Support periodic review and update of all Finance and Administration polices, ensuring they are relevant and support the Institute's operations.
· Ensure that complete regular reconciliations are carried out with monthly aging of receivables and payables, produce a summary of reconciled receivables for discussion and write off approval.
Human Resources (HR):
· Develop, implement efficient and effective strategic HR systems to manage staff recruitment, motivation and retention, compensation, talent management, performance reviews, HR capacity planning, and clearly communicate and encourage department accountability.
· Improve, update and implement institutional training plans, salary structures, succession plans and HR policies.
· Ensure that the procurement function meets the evolving needs of the institution in keeping with global best practice.
· Maintain and enhance transparent, efficient and effective procurement systems.
Operations and Property management:
· Ensure the Occupational Health, Safety and Environment policy is updated and implemented.
· Ensure facilities and fleet are effectively managed and adhere to appropriate standards of accountability.
· Maintain a property management plan and monitor its implementation.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicant should hold a Bachelor’s degree in Commerce/Business Administration or related discipline.
· Possession of a Master’s degree in Business Administration or related discipline.
· Current holder of ACCA/CPA professional qualification.
· At least eight years of relevant, progressive experience and demonstrable ability to grasp issues relating to strategic financial management and related systems development.
· Three years at senior management level involving financial planning and management, including significant board and key stakeholder interaction.
· Proven skills in team building, leadership and staff motivation.
· Demonstrated skills and experience in directing the Human Resource function.
· Extensive experience with non-profit NGOs, with multiple resource streams.
· Strong leadership and coaching skills to develop the capacity of different teams.
· Strong computer literacy with extensive knowledge in use of Microsoft Dynamics.
· Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
· Ability to work under pressure demonstrating creativity and versatility
· Structured strategic thinking
· Policy Acumen.
How to Apply:
All interested and suitably qualified candidates should send their application letter, CVs (with three professional referees) to:
The Human Resources Manager,
Infectious Diseases Institute,
College of Health Sciences, Makerere University,
P.O. Box 22418, Kampala, Uganda
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: Friday, 14th October 2016 by 5:00 PM
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline