Job Title: Commodity Officer
Organisation: World Vision International
Reports to: Commodity Manager
Duty Station: Uganda
World Vision Uganda is a Christian Relief, Development and Advocacy Non-Government Organization dedicated to working with children, families and communities to overcome poverty and injustice. We currently work in over 41 districts in Uganda. World Vision is committed to the protection of children and we will not employ people whose background is not suitable for working with children. All employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of all applicable background checks, including criminal record checks where possible. “Our Vision for every child, Life in all its fullness. Our prayer for every Heart, the will to make it so.”
Job Summary: The Commodity Officer will provide technical and direct management oversight of the food aid program at the district level with a view to ensure quality food programming, systems and procedures and accountability within the framework of World Vision and donor (WFP and USAID) standards and guidelines. Collaborate and coordinate with the rest of WV Uganda ministry departments, partners, donors and government in the design and implementation of food aid programs including early warning disaster preparedness, mitigation and actual response.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Food Aid Programming:
· Provide management supervision and oversight for the food aid program at district level.
· Manage and track food aid programming budget and assets at the district level.
· Work closely with other WV Uganda departments to ensure proper integration of the food aid programming with the greater WV Ministry.
· Collaborate and coordinate with other WV Uganda ministry departments and regional technical staff in areas of food programming research, impact learning, innovative programming and partnerships as well as the dissemination of major food programming issues, new ideas and trends, advocacy and the optimization of food programming for both relief and development need in the country.
· Develop monitoring plan for all food aid and complementary activities (Warehouse and cash) in the district and ensures that regular and rigorous monitoring takes place during implementation. Track major trends and finding and take action to ensure projects objectives are accomplishments.
· Offer support in the recruitment of staffs that have the required knowledge, skill and abilities in order to meet WV food aid programming standards.
Supervision of field operation:
· Provide technical oversight through periodic visits to monitor and review all aspects of the food programming and systems as well as to provide appropriate feedback and recommendation to the Field Coordinator and Food Monitors.
· Ensure proper management of the entire process of distribution planning, food dispatch from the warehouse to the FDP, receipt of food at the FDP, distribution, returns and accounting of losses.
· Ensure distribution staff have adequate distribution aid to enable them perform their work effectively.
· Conduct un-scheduled and scheduled field visit to observe distribution and check compliance with set standards. 50% time allocated for field visit per month.
· Conduct on spot training to correct any anomalies detected.
· During field visit talk to beneficiaries and community leaders to get their opinion regarding project implementation.
Review of field documents and reports:
· Ensure that proper food handling and accountability systems are in place including the maintenance of all required records and documentation and installation and operation of CTS at the district level.
· Ensure that CTS is installed and is operational at the district level.
· Put in place proper systems and schedules for review of documents and reports with a view to ensure compliance with World Vision and donor standards and guidelines.
· Review CSR, RSR & LSR and ensure they tally with distribution reports generated from the FDPs.
· Ensure beneficiary list tally with all supporting documentation (Waybill, TIR, Unloading tally sheet, DCVR & Certificate of food receipt and distribution).
· Ensure all losses (warehouse, transit & distribution) and excess have been properly accounted for in the waybill and reported accordingly.
· Ensure all commodities returned to the store are accompanied by a Return to Store waybill.
· Ensure quantity shown as received on the waybill & tally sheet agrees with actual physically count at the FDP.
· All commodity documents and reports are accurate and completely filled by staff concerned.
· Ensure timely and accurate reports including CSRs, RSRs, LSRs, narrative etc, which reflect the true picture of the food aid projects in the district, are prepared and submitted to Senior FAIRO and Food Aid Assistance Manager as per agreed timelines.
· Ensure all reports to donor(Weekly, monthly, quarterly and EoP) are submitted in time
· Ensure FAIRO generates accurate CTS reports (CSR, RSR, LSR, Donor Receipt tally, Distribution Summary, RTS Summary, Ration reasonability test) as per the agreed timeline.
· Prepare monthly and quarterly narrative reports as per the agreed scheduled with SOs and Donor.
· Make sure that reports capture all the major activities that happened during the reporting period including challenges encountered and action taken to resolve them.
· Ensure reports are submitted to Sr. FAIRO and Food Aid Assistance Manager on timely basis according to agreed schedule
· Management of invoicing process
· Ensure timely compilation and reconciliation of CSS and invoices for distribution cost based on tonnage handled in the district.
· Ensure FAIRO prepares and submit CSS showing the value of commodity received by the project during the reporting month within the agreed timeline.
· Ensure FAIRO prepares an invoice for tonnage handled based on the approved USD rate per Mt.
· In cases where the tonnage handled falls below the expected quantity, prepare a fixed cost invoice in close collaboration with Field Accountant within the agreed timeline.
· In cases where WV hires transporters for food delivery to the FDPs, ensure transporters deliver invoices to WV for payment on a timely manner. Work with Field Accountant to ensure that invoices are processed and paid on time as agreed in the contract transporters.
· Ensure all invoices plus corresponding backups are submitted to the local WFP office within the agreed timeline
· Develop and implement a staff capacity building plan on areas of commodity management, food distribution, and nutrition and hygiene sensitization in order to meet established standards through on the job training, workshops, conferences and any other appropriate methods.
· Identify other training needs during appraisal process and liaise with Food Aid Assistance Manager and HR to see how this could be undertaken.
· Implement staff performance management strategy.
Coordination and networking:
· Organize staff meeting to discuss project implementation as well as challenges and success.
· Participate in monthly management meetings.
· Participate in Partner coordination meetings with donor and other stakeholders. (UNHCR, OPM, WFP and other Partners)
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The prospective World Vision Commodity Officer employee should hold a Bachelor’s degree in social sciences or development.
· At least three to five years’ experience, preferable with a busy NGO or UN agency, in food commodities handling tracking and accounting.
· Prior experience with WV CTS system and or UN WFP Compass system is an added advantage.
· Broad knowledge of WV, WFP and USAID regulations pertaining to relief food commodities tracking accounting and reporting.
· This position requires a person who is self-starter, who can accomplish the task with minimal or no supervision.
· Ability to manage a team of staff as well as cooperate with other units. He/she must be keen on details and well organized individual.
NB: This vacancy is open to Ugandan nationals only.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified candidates are encouraged to apply online by visiting World Vision International’s e-recruitment jobs portal at the web link below.
Please follow instructions on How to Create Account and Profile at World Vision’s e-recruitment portal. Qualified female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
Deadline: 28th October, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline