Job Title: Chief Projects Officer
Organization: Uganda Electricity Generation Company Ltd (UEGCL)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Uganda Electricity Generation Company Ltd was incorporated in March 2001 under the Companies Act, 2012 on the basis of the Public Enterprises Reform and Divestiture Act, Cap 98 and Electricity Act, Cap 145 respectively. UEGCL is wholly owned by the Government of the Republic of Uganda. UEGCL’s key role is to - carry on the business of electric power generation and sale within Uganda or for export to neighbouring countries; build, operate and maintain Electricity Generation Plants; monitor the operation and maintenance of its Concessioned Assets - Nalubaale and Kiira Power Stations; provide Technical Support as and when required by the Government of the Republic of Uganda through the Ministry of Energy and Mineral Development; organize, support, encourage and maintain training facilities in technical and related fields, amongst others.
Job Summary: The Chief Projects Officer will lead and manage the Company Projects Division, and develop systems, procedures and strategies to ensure Company Objectives are achieved including ensuring that projects are delivered on time, within budget, and to the required quality standards and specifications. The incumbent will ensure projects are effectively resourced and manages a wide range of stakeholders. The jobholder will also manage the work of consultants, allocating and utilizing resources in an efficient manner and maintaining a cooperative, motivated, and successful team.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Carry out the engineering and packaging of Power generation projects based on an energy mix approved in the Company Strategic Direction through project concept notes, feasibility studies, financing and contracting, detailed design, tender documentation, procurement, construction supervision, and commissioning.
· Work closely with the Division Head of Strategy and Business Development to Formulation of short, medium and long term plans and budget for the Division including conducting economic studies, and investment planning comply with the UEGCL Strategic Plan.
· The incumbent will develop and monitor project appraisals, tendering and procurement and contracting of consultants and contractors for power generation plants; including monitoring of implementation of such projects.
· The jobholder will establish and ensure effective implementation of standard procedures for project management.
· Assess the needs of the projects in terms of materials, equipment, protective wear, and tools and ensure the necessary items are procured in a timely manner.
· Ensure that project plans and delivery schedules are prepared and followed to promote efficiency and effectiveness during project implementation.
· Ensure that the engineering, architectural, environmental protection and surveying International and National practice guidelines are adhered to in all projects.
· Ensure effective contracts management during implementation of projects including management of both the Consultancy and the contractors’ contracts to ensure that projects are delivered in time and within budget.
· The jobholder will coordinate with the lenders and prepare reports to lenders as needed.
· Take lead and manage the multidisciplinary Project Implementation Team (PIT).
· Coordinate the monitoring of cost, quality and time performance of all projects, initiating necessary corrective action and prepare regular progress reports.
· Regularly monitor the Division’s programme implementation and report periodically on the performance of the Division including budgets and actual targets achieved.
· Conduct product demonstrations, provide project status updates to management and the Board, and respond to any field technical inquiries.
· Ensures all drawings affected by design changes are updated in a timely manner to reflect as-built conditions. Ensures field design changes are properly managed.
· With support from more experienced engineers, and project managers, provides appropriate design criteria and calculations; ensure proper checking, design reviews, approvals and documentation; reviews and approves project material procurement list, equipment specification updates, and engineering material requests; provides technical direction to consultants, contractors, design engineers; and may perform duties of design engineers as needed for training and delivery on project commitments.
· Works closely with Chief Operations Officer to provide technical assessments and/or project management services for operating and/or maintenance problems where needed.
· Develop and ensure effective implementation of Division work plans and financial budget in line with the overall Company Business plan.
· Establish and implement project risk management system including development of contingency plans.
· Coordinate with the Human Resources Division to identify/recruit, develop, deploy and retain talented staff within the division including completing performance appraisals, personal development and succession plans effectively and on time in accordance with the established performance management system.
· Perform any other duties that will be assigned from time to time.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate for the Chief Projects Officer career placement should hold a graduate Degree and Postgraduate qualification in Civil Engineering;
· Possession of a Post-graduate education in project management, construction management, contract management, and any other relevant field is an added advantage;
· Registered Engineer with Engineers Registration Board of Uganda or Equivalent is a must.
· At least ten (10) years’ of post qualification experience in a large engineering enterprise and involved in project management at senior level;
· Significant experience in project management of Hydroelectric power generation and complex infrastructure projects.
· Good leadership and negotiation skills
· Excellent planning and organizational skills with demonstrated ability to execute projects on time and on budget.
· Strong analytical and problem solving skills
· Excellent communication, facilitation and presentation skills.
· Broad knowledge and understanding of corporate and industry practices, processes, and standards
· Familiar with international standard forms of contract e.g. FIDIC and project management methods such as PRINCE 2.
· Excellent interpersonal skills and high level of integrity
· Computer literacy skills
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their applications with copies of their academic documents and detailed CVs indicating two referees and their full addresses physically to:
The Chief Executive Officer,
Uganda Electricity Generation Company Ltd (UEGCL),
3rd Floor, UEDCL Tower,
Plot 37 Nakasero Road P.O. Box 7583, Kampala. Uganda
Deadline: 28th October, 2016 by 5:00PM
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline