Job Title: Chief Operations Officer
Organization: Uganda Electricity Generation Company Ltd (UEGCL)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Uganda Electricity Generation Company Ltd was incorporated in March 2001 under the Companies Act, 2012 on the basis of the Public Enterprises Reform and Divestiture Act, Cap 98 and Electricity Act, Cap 145 respectively. UEGCL is wholly owned by the Government of the Republic of Uganda. UEGCL’s key role is to - carry on the business of electric power generation and sale within Uganda or for export to neighbouring countries; build, operate and maintain Electricity Generation Plants; monitor the operation and maintenance of its Concessioned Assets - Nalubaale and Kiira Power Stations; provide Technical Support as and when required by the Government of the Republic of Uganda through the Ministry of Energy and Mineral Development; organize, support, encourage and maintain training facilities in technical and related fields, amongst others.
Job Summary: The Chief Operations Officer will steer and manage the Operations and Maintenance Division of the Company and develop systems, procedures and strategies that will ensure Company objectives are achieved including improved financial performance; better informed asset investment decisions; better managed risks; better services and outputs; enhanced social responsibility and compliance; enhanced reputation; improved efficiency and effectiveness; and enhanced organizational sustainability.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· The jobholder will develop an appropriate maintenance philosophy suitable for the operating environment in the country and to specific power plants. Based on the philosophy, short and long term maintenance schedules shall be developed and where “Conditioned Based” Asset Management philosophy is adopted, plan for the projected outage logistical requirements.
· Establish an Asset Management System in accordance with ISO Standards (55000, 55001, & 55002) requirements to facilitate informed decisions about asset operations, maintenance, and renewal.
· Ensure data acquisition and processing through the use of Computerised Maintenance Management System for continuous monitoring of the power plants and reporting on the actual status of electricity generation assets for strategic decision making.
· Annually review plant performance and develop operational targets for the power plants, with key performance indicators of plant availability, reliability and maintenance effectiveness that meet utility requirements and standards.
· Ensure that operational logistical requirements such as human resource and materials resource of appropriate quality are planned for, available and effectively utilized. This includes budgeting and budget control, training and procurement processes initiation/management.
· The incumbent will develop annually the plant operational and maintenance risk register and risk management procedures.
· Ensure that all the operational activities are carried out in a prudent utility practice manner and gives value for money for the company.
· Develop and embed plant, personnel and environment safety in accordance to OSH Act and ISO standards.
· Coordinate operation and maintenance needs with needs of external contractors in situations where some works are carried out by external contractors.
· Provide professional guidance and technical information to other departments as and when required
· In all the above, the guiding factor shall be driven by an effective asset management policy and strategy that will ensure longevity of plant life and effective utilization of the assets.
· Prepare reports to top management and board of directors
· Perform any other duties assigned by the supervisor.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate for the Chief Operations Officer career placement should hold a graduate Degree and Postgraduate qualification in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering;
· Professional Affiliations and additional qualifications in hydropower plant operation and maintenance, project management, Business Administration, asset management, and any other related qualifications will be an added advantage;
· Registered Engineer with Engineers Registration Board of Uganda or Equivalent is a must;
· At least ten (10) years’ of post qualification experience in Power Plant Operation and Maintenance at senior Management Level is required.
· The applicant should have significant knowledge of operation and Maintenance of hydropower plants of more than 150MW of installed capacity.
· Previous experience in Maintenance and Modification/overhaul of Power Plants;
· Broad knowledge of the Grid Code and Operational Procedures;
· Demonstrated Knowledge of Power Sales and Purchase Agreements.
· Demonstrated leadership skills
· Excellent planning and organizational skills with demonstrated ability to Maintenance and overhaul of Power Plants in accordance with schedules and Budget
· Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
· Excellent communication, facilitation and presentation skills.
· Broad knowledge and understanding of corporate and industry practices, processes, and standards
· Familiar with Quality Assurance and Quality Management Procedures
· Knowledge and Familiarity with International Standards relevant to power plants e.g IEC, ASME
· Excellent interpersonal skills and high level of integrity
· Computer literacy skills
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their applications with copies of their academic documents and detailed CVs indicating two referees and their full addresses physically to:
The Chief Executive Officer,
Uganda Electricity Generation Company Ltd (UEGCL),
3rd Floor, UEDCL Tower,
Plot 37 Nakasero Road P.O. Box 7583, Kampala. Uganda
Deadline: 28th October, 2016 by 5:00PM
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline