Job Title: Chief Executive Officer
Organisation: Kilimo Trust
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Kilimo Board of Trustees
Kilimo Trust (KT) is an independent organization working on agriculture for development across the East Africa Community (EAC) Region - in Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda, and South Sudan. We promote regional solutions to local problems to make agricultural markets work better for the reduction of poverty and elimination of hunger. We are committed to supporting the people of East African Community (EAC) to achieve market-based solutions to food and nutrition security. Therefore, our core business is to support the transformation of food and nutrition security in the EAC Region away from high risk subsistence farming into lower risk trade-based systems. We implement and manage programmes and projects in partnership with and/or on behalf of governments, international and regional organizations, and the private sector.
Job Summary: The Chief Executive Officer will provide creative leadership focused at solutions; identify, and pursue emerging opportunities that favorably position KT as a hybrid, financially viable and sustainable institution that positively impacts the incomes of farming households and other agricultural-related enterprises within the EAC region.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· The incumbent will proactively develop, implement, evaluate, update and present the Strategic Plan (including specific, quantifiable and time-bound targets) of KT; within the context of a changing operational environment.
· Actively promote and market KT within East Africa and globally as a leading independent agricultural development organization supporting innovation for smallholders in the region through both not-for- profit and social entrepreneurship interventions.
· The jobholder will develop and lead the implementation of partnership and alliance strategy that enables the Trust to leverage and nurture strategic partnerships.
· Take lead in the planning and implementation of KT’s fund-raising efforts for supporting current programs and future expansion; including identifying funding resources, establishing strategies to approach potential funders, submitting proposals and maintaining relevant documentation.
· Routinely identify, reduce, mitigate and manage all relevant risks as they relate to the Trusts financial, reputational, brand and others assets in tandem with the values and deeds of KT.
· The incumbent will coordinate internal and external evaluations with respect to the delivery of organizational targets in quantifiable and attributable outcomes and impact - and present them in terms of value-for-money, value additive solutions, and quantifiable benefits accruing to target populations.
· Provide strategic direction and oversight to the senior leadership team, country managers and other key staff to ensure financial health of KT and compliance to statutory requirements
· The jobholder will also prepare and present accurate timely and regular reports, briefs, and updates to the Board of Trustees concerning progress against the strategic and annual business plans as per the Board mandate and needs. To recruit, hire, train, manage, lead, and develop the Kilimo senior management team and regional senior staff in a manner that ensures the staff members are highly qualified, experienced, and competent in appropriate areas in relation to Kilimo Mission and strategic intent.
· Institute, implement and review policies, regulations, rules and guidelines that promote efficient, effective and harmonious functioning of KT as per the organizations Mission, ethos and values.
· Without any prejudice to the foregoing; to perform, in a professional and ethical manner, all duties typical of the office held by Chief Executive Officer as described in the Deeds of KT.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate must hold a Master’s degree in Agricultural Sciences or related fields.
· Specialized training in Business Management, Entrepreneurship, Organizational Leadership.
· Broad knowledge of different not-for-profit and private sector engagements and approaches is considered necessary for the position.
· State-of-the-art knowledge of agricultural development issues
· A minimum of seven (7) years’ experience as a member of the top leadership team(s) in a similar/related organization.
· Experience of participating in governance roles (board level).
· International exposure is required;
· Significant experience of working within the East African region is preferred.
· Capacity to generate and disseminate well-articulated influential knowledge products.
· Demonstrable capability in networking and building strategic alliances, and partnerships with the private sector, NGOs, multilateral agencies, public agencies and governments in the region and beyond.
· Previous experience in supporting growth of agribusiness ventures.
· Excellent track record of successful fundraising and revenue generation efforts for institutions similar to KT.
· Expertise in leading ante and post implementation studies related to various programs
· Fluency in English (reading, writing and speaking), and Swahili (conversational). A working knowledge of French is an added advantage..
· Proven proficiency in providing leadership and direction to employees spread across a wide region and in different countries.
· Willingness and ability to travel within the East African region and internationally.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their applications by email to email@example.com including a letter of motivation, curriculum vitae (not exceeding 4 typed pages), names and contacts (phone number and e-mail) of three referees. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Deadline: 16th January 2017
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline