Job Title: Business Development Manager
Organization: Heifer International
Project Name: EADD-II
Duty Station: Mbarara, Uganda
Heifer International, a not-for-profit organization founded in 1944 in the United States of America, works with resource constrained families in 125 countries worldwide to develop innovative solutions to the underlying causes of hunger, poverty and environmental degradation.
About Heifer EADD-II Program:
The East Africa Dairy Development (EADD-II) is an ambitious five-year program designed to transform the lives of resource poor farming families through a competitive and inclusive dairy value chain in Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania. Heifer International as a lead partner is implementing this project with its consortium partners that include; The Livestock Research Institute (ILRI), Techno serve (TNS), the World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF) and African Breeders Total Cattle Management (ABS-TCM).
Job Summary: The Business Development Manager will work closely with the CPM, Regional BDM and country business teams, to provide the overall leadership in designing and implementing appropriate interventions within the project to help dairy farmers improve their incomes, organizing them into dairy groups and producer’s organizations, with the objective of building significant partnerships with both public and private organizations. This position will lead specialized business advisory services and training to address the commercial needs of various value chain actors within the dairy sub-sector, especially the dairy farmer producer organizations and dairy interest groups, to become the engine of growth for dairy farming and industry. Under the leadership of the BDM, the project is expected to develop inclusive coordination mechanism which will foster transparency, trust and loyalty within the value chain. In sum, the interventions to be led by the Business Development Manager (BDM) seek to increase the overall level of competitiveness of the dairy sub-sector in the country. S/he will establish and/or maintain strong working and business relationships with key actors of the dairy value chain, processors, dairy boards and regulatory institutions, financial service providers, local and central governments (PPP promoters). S/he will lead day-to-day country business development project activities, including dairy businesses (projects) appraisal, budget management and work plan.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Provide the strategic and operational business leadership for the project in the country. 10%
· Work closely with other key industry actors to identify potential strategies to accelerate increased investments in the subsector.
· Identify priority areas of involvement that informs development of plans; and develop strategic and annual business plan that will holistically address the dairy value chain from farm to processor, developing demand generated models which drive growth and income of the dairy farmers
· Identify and develop investment and financing options in dairy value chains with the view to increase net returns to actors.
Provide technical lead to the Business development team in the country and develop markets for milk produced by EADD supported dairy farmers through medium to long term contracts 10% i. Country business plans in line to deliver project objectives
· Contracts with key processors or establishment of value addition processing
· Developed country – specific dairy business guide which will inform investment along the dairy value chain
· Review options of value addition by POs going into processing of milk and products
· Lead work plans for the business team, in coordination with the rest of the EADD team
Develop, establish and maintain strong working relationships with key industry actors across the region. 10%
· Build strong working relationships with business owners, policy makers and other stakeholders
· Memoranda of Understanding established with selected processors, financial institutions and other diary business players in support of farmer groups’ business development.
Establish viable sustainable Producer organizations (POs), and national Apex bodies to manage, lead and market the produce of POs, while providing services to members 10%
· Establishment of viable business focused POs and Apex bodies especially in the country, which have strong leadership, management, and succession systems, in an environment of transparency and ownership.
· Mentoring PO/ Apex orgs business managers
Build business acumen among the Dairy Interest Groups (DIGs), and develop modules of training courses to help dairy farmers to work as entrepreneurs, helping them adapt new productivity enhancing technologies. 10%
· Module of Business and Saving & Credit training for DIGs and dairy farmers, to be rolled out by POs and Community Agrovets Entrepreneurs.
· Deliver technical advice through design and delivery of business related training programs to project client base
Review framework for Business Development Service (BDS) market diagnostic and (BDS tracking against Baseline) evaluating the need for services and level of services currently available (for the country). 5%
· Framework for BDS market diagnostic reviewed together with the countries.
Manage the project business budget and monitor the country budgets to ensure adherence to budget limitations. 5%
· Annual business budgets developed with the business teams with inputs from the Country Program Manager.
· Produce consolidated business progress reports on the status for business activities in the project for internal and external reporting. 5%
Develop Financial and investment plans and models for processing and chilling plants, as need is identified. 5%
· Work in close collaboration with RDBM, and external resources, ensure a basic training manual for processing and chilling plant management developed and shared with business team.
Create, disseminate and support country-level adaptation and use of standard templates and tools for key project deliverables including but not limited to; chilling plant business plans, PO feasibility studies and market assessments; country-level work plans and other management and quality assurance challenges. 5%
· Standard template for POs, business plans developed, simplified monthly reporting, shared with country business teams and utilized consistently.
Create vision for effective market information systems that provide price, quality, quantity and timely information. 10%
· Market information system that provides price, quality, quantity and timely information to farmers and other key stakeholders developed.
Assemble and update market information on a regular basis, analyze, synthesize and disseminate. 10%
· Partners and implementers in the country are kept abreast with current conditions and new developments in the market
· Toolkits, best practices information and market resources that support organization of smallholder dairy farmers, strong supply of goods and services and expanded dairy markets are assembled and readily available to all partners and key stakeholders
Conduct Bench marking and ensure that best practices gathered are shared into the project across the project region. Develop case studies of successes and/or failures and lessons learned, and partner with evaluators and others to develop review studies for external dissemination. 5%
· Learning forums created, and best practices documented and shared
· Perform any other job-related responsibilities as assigned.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicant should preferably hold a Master’s Degree or equivalent in the fields of Agriculture Economics, Business Administration, Rural Development, Enterprise Development or other related field,
· At least three (3) years’ experience in commercial dairy industry, economic development value chain competitiveness, investment promotion, or agriculture development.
· Significant experience in building public/private partnerships, preferably in the dairy sector
· Strong leadership skills, with a minimum of three years’ in managing commercial agribusiness or agribusiness development.
· Previous experience in the commercial sector with skills to develop and evaluate investment opportunities and promote such opportunities to financial institutions.
· Strong, consumer marketing, financial analysis and management skills.
· Demonstrated experience in conducting capital budgeting
· Prior experience in supporting and monitoring field based programs in the country.
· Proven experience in building the capacity of partner institutions to document and disseminate industry information, manage knowledge, measure progress and plan and advocate within the industry
· Excellent command of Report writing, analysis and presentation skills using Word, Excel and PowerPoint
· Track record of building strong client and stakeholder relationships;
· Ability to generate innovative solutions in work situations;
· Broad knowledge and understanding of the dairy value chain in the country.
· Innovative, analytical, and solutions oriented.
· Knowledge of enterprise development and linkages to poverty alleviation.
· Strong interpersonal/people management skills and excellent oral and written communication skills a must;
· Excellent organizational skills.
· Proficient knowledge of word processing, spreadsheets, presentation tools, electronic mail (Microsoft Office preferred) and Internet.
· Demonstrated proficiency in English and other local languages, both oral and written.
· Skilled in preparing and presenting documents in a well-designed and attractive format with superior attention to detail.
· Ability to understand, appreciate and implement Heifer’s Value Based Holistic Community Development.
· Demonstrated creativity, ability to think systematically, willingness and ability to incorporate innovative solutions.
· Quantitative and qualitative approaches to evaluation and ability to communicate MLE concepts clearly with leadership, partners, and staff at all levels.
· Willingness and ability to assign and review the work of direct reports and to use participatory management skills with junior and senior staff.
· Willingness and ability to travel extensively throughout country including some region or international travel.
· May require constant sitting; working at a computer and focusing for extended periods of time and performing office environment activities while on the road and/or in remote conditions.
· Working with sensitive information and maintaining confidentiality.
· Ability to manage and execute multiple tasks with little supervision while meeting sometimes inflexible deadlines.
· Valid and clean driving license (with ability to use manual-gear vehicles).
How to Apply:
All candidates are encouraged to Apply Online be visiting the Web link below.
NOTE: Preference will be given to Ugandan Nationals.
Deadline: 21st October, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline