Job Title: Associate Field Manager
Duty Station: Lamwo, Uganda
Reports to: Field Manager
GiveDirectly is an international non-profit organization that currently operating in Kenya and Uganda that aims to help people living in extreme poverty by making unconditional cash transfers to them via mobile phone. GiveDirectly is driving a re-evaluation of the norms underlying international philanthropy with a provocative model: We deliver donations directly to the extreme poor and let them decide what to do with them. This approach builds on two converging trends: the rapid spread of electronic last-mile payments solutions in emerging markets, and the large body of experimental evidence showing that direct transfers are as or more cost-effective at reducing poverty than traditional, top-down approaches. GiveDirectly’s field operations utilize state-of-the-art technologies and business processes to deliver transfers securely, efficiently, and transparently.
Job Summary: The Associate Field Manager, Follow-Up (Follow-Up AFM) will play a central role in ensuring that GiveDirectly delivers a gold-standard product to donors and recipients. The Follow-Up AFM will manage the Field Officers (FOs) on one of our office-based recipient follow-up teams. The follow-up teams are responsible for (i) speaking to all of our recipients before they receive transfers (primarily in the field); (ii) picking up, tracking, and resolving adverse events such as fraud or conflict; (iii) picking up, tracking, and resolving mobile money registration problems; and (iv) receiving inbounds calls on a hotline. The individual in the Follow-Up AFM position will own day-to-day management of their team, including: daily work planning and team management, tracking team and individual performance; achieving targets; coaching field officers; and identifying opportunities for risk mitigation and process improvement. The Associate Field Manager will serve as the key resource on the ground for the Field Manager (FM) and Field Director (FD) and will be responsible for regularly synthesizing updates on team performance as well as field successes and challenges. The role will reward exceptional personnel management, organizational skills, high-quality judgment on operational challenges, and a strong commitment towards driving both team and individual productivity.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Field Management (20%)
· Meet with Field Manager at least monthly to align on any adjustments to work plan.
· The incumbent will meet with field teams as necessary to align on daily plans and problem-solve challenges. Coordinate team approach for surveys to maximize efficiency and efficacy.
· Track FO productivity & quality of service, including reviewing operational reports each week; discuss team and individual performance weekly with FOs and FM; own course correction if metrics are slipping.
· Keep senior management informed of key risks to work plan (e.g. adverse event / registration problem counts, monthly recipient transfer-readiness, rumours about GiveDirectly, mobile money agent fraud, etc.).
· Organize weekly meeting with other members of field management (FM, AFMs) in order to discuss challenges and propose solutions.
· Manage periodic team trips to the field to follow-up with vulnerable recipients, hard to reach recipients, and adverse event / registration problem cases.
· Carve out time each week in order to complete administrative tasks and meetings.
· Ensure all allowance requests and spent allowance requests are submitted correctly and promptly. Process leave requests so as not to conflict with work planning and operations.
· Resolve miscellaneous equipment requests.
· Actively participate in a weekly field management forum to problem solve and collaborate on work planning.
Data collection and process improvement (20%)
· Collect surveys ~ 1-2 days a week in order to help teams achieve targets and to help identify areas for improvement.
· Vet new versions of surveys, including impact on field staff productivity and follow-up data quality, and recommend survey improvements as necessary (e.g. potential process, risk mitigation, or data management gaps).
· Raise ideas for continuous improvement to the enrolment process /recipient experience; execute process improvements and ideas raised by the FM / CD.
Quality Control (15%)
· Regularly monitor and ensure quality control while the field staff conduct surveys.
· Periodically check and review FO data collection. Coach staff to correct any issues observed.
· Spend 1-2 day resolving difficult cases in the field that require special attention (hard-to-find recipients, cases of potential fraud)
Field Officer management and development (15%)
· Coach FOs on challenges. Provide additional case-specific input as requested by FO (e.g. ambiguity around adverse event). Exercise judgment and escalate recurring issues or questions to FM to align on approach.
· Coach FOs who are underperforming and provide disciplinary measures if necessary.
· Encourage teamwork and improve morale through mentorship, affirmations, and various management initiatives.
· Spend 1-2 days shadowing staff in order to identify areas for improvement and professional development, particularly during staff training.
· Arrange interview logistics and conduct interviews for new FOs (after initial screen from HR Manager). Recommend potential hires to FM for final approval.
· Provide initial training to newly hired FOs and on-going professional development to staff. Participate in meetings with district, county, and sub-country officials as necessary. Represent GiveDirectly in the field and manage daily communication with local village and parish leaders.
· Assist with response to crisis events (e.g. refusal spikes, government shut-down, coordinated fraud, etc.)
· Promote effective team culture by encouraging recognition of positive achievements, planning team events periodically, and other team-building initiatives.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate for the GiveDirectly Associate Field Manager job placement must hold a Diploma preferably a Degree in a relevant field.
· Exceptional leadership ability with demonstrated success in motivating and developing junior staff Exceptional ability to problem-solve complex operational challenges over the phone and in the field
· Alignment with GiveDirectly core values and commitment to advancing GD’s mission
· Possess a positive attitude, strong work ethic, and team-player mentality
· Strong interest in being the engine of the day-to-day field work
· Demonstrated ability to work in a highly independent and self-directed manner, while effectively communicating upwardly about gaps and risks
· Excellent communication and relationship building skills and the ability to represent the organization effectively to external parties
· Analytical and technical skills, including proficiency with Microsoft Excel
· Fluency in Acholi and English
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates are encouraged to apply online at the web link below.
NB: Applicants are encouraged to apply early, as applications will be reviewed on a ROLLING BASIS. GiveDirectly does not request for any form of payment from an applicant.
Deadline: 4th November, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline