Job Title: Agribusiness Expert
Organization: Wageningen UR Uganda
Duty Station: Uganda
Reports to: Agribusiness Coordinator
Centre for Development Innovation (CDI) is the interdisciplinary and internationally focused unit of Wageningen University & Research Centre. CDI works on processes of innovation and change through facilitating innovation, brokering knowledge and supporting capacity development. The proposed Integrated Seed Sector Development (ISSD) Plus Uganda programme is coordinated by CDI and implemented by Wageningen UR Uganda, the legal entity in Uganda. The four-year ISSD Plus project to be funded by the Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands, Kampala. The programme aims to strengthen the development of a vibrant, pluralistic and market-oriented seed sector that is able to address key challenges that hamper the seed sector development such as seed quality assurance and availability of foundation seed.
Job Summary: The Agribusiness Expert will support farmer groups to become commercially sustainable local seed businesses. The LSB groups who will be under outscaling partners shall be located within the agro-ecological zone of the Buginyanya ZARDI. The agribusiness expert reports to the Agribusiness coordinator. The focus is on developing entrepreneurial capacities of the farmers towards becoming professional seed entrepreneurs. The agribusiness expert will work closely together with a colleague who is an ISSD seed expert, ZARDI staff, Agricultural District officer, District Commercial Officer, Community Development Officers, local NGOs and other stakeholders. The agribusiness expert reports to the Agribusiness coordinator.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Work closely with seed expert, select 5 LSBs under out-scaling partners in the zone to receive preferential capacity building so as to become modal LSBs.
· Train, coach and provide technical backstopping to the 5 Modal LSBs on their market orientation, market research and business planning.
· Offer support to the 5 Modal LSBs in the strengthening of their organizational capacity; training and coaching on group dynamics and business organization principles; and creating cohesion, trust and social capital.
· Offer technical agribusiness backstopping to out-scaling partner trainers.
· Regularly monitor and supervise the agribusiness capacity builder activities of the outscaling partners in the zone.
· Work closely with ZARDI staff in supporting LSBs towards becoming commercially sustainable seed entrepreneurs
· Support selected LSBs in the development of competitive grant proposals for seed production and marketing infrastructure
· Mainstream gender into the development of Local Seed Businesses directly to the 5 modal LSBs and indirectly through the out-scaling partners.
· Facilitate farmer groups to have access to research, extension, market, quality assurance and credit
· Facilitate the translation of intervention strategies into action plans with concrete activities, targets and time frames
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate must hold relevant post graduate academic qualifications in business administration, agribusiness or agricultural economics, with an orientation towards participatory agricultural development
· A minimum of three years’ work experience in agri-business
· Thorough knowledge on developing marketing strategy using the 4P concept;
· Demonstrated ability to collaborate with small-scale farmers, and other type of stakeholder groups (across different levels)
· A strong interest in linking theory with policy and practice
· Excellent English language skills and Luo language skills
· Willingness to travel extensively in Northern Uganda
· Ugandan nationality
How to Apply:
All suitably and qualified and interested candidates should send their application letters and updated CVs (max. 6 pages) to firstname.lastname@example.org
NB: DO NOT attach certificates or academic qualification.
Deadline: 23rd October 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline