Job Title: Project Environmental Officer
Organisation: Rural Electrification Agency (REA)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
The Rural Electrification Agency (REA) is the Secretariat of the Rural Electrification Board (REB) as established by Statutory Instrument 2001 No. 75. The REB’s main function is to oversee the management of the Rural Electrification Fund (REF) and facilitate the development and implementation of the Government’s Rural Electrification Programme.
About ADB UREAP:
The Government of Uganda received a loan from the African Development Bank for the implementation of the Uganda Rural Electricity Access Project (UREAP). The Rural Electricity Access Project is one of several projects designed to achieve the target set in Rural Electrification Strategy and Plan (RESP-2), which aims to increase access to electricity in rural areas from 7% to 26% by 2022. The objective of the project is to provide access to electricity and enhance economic growth in rural areas of the country. Rural Electrification Agency (REA) is the Executing Agency for the project, under the supervision of the Ministry of Energy and Mineral Development (MEMD).
Job Summary: The Project Environmental Officer will be responsible for ensuring that projects are developed and implemented in compliance with the environmental and social management safeguards of the AfDB and NEMA.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· The jobholder will ensure and monitor compliance of the project activities with approved EIA conditions, ESMP, ESMF, ADB safeguards requirements, and the national environmental policy and legal requirements during construction of subprojects.
· Coordinate and manage environmental and safeguard activities of all key project stakeholders including the consultant and the contractors.
· In charge of reviewing consultant and contractor ESMP reports and ensure compliance with ADB, NEMA and REA requirements.
· Provide recommendations and comments to PMU regarding any required follow up actions, penalties, or remedial measures as may be required for contractor non-compliances with environmental and social safeguard requirements.
· Coordinate and carry out environmental consultation with stakeholders, and ensure timely and adequate documentation.
· Work in close coordination with the Social Safeguards Officer, develop and publicize sitespecific grievance mechanisms. Assist PMU and relevant implementing partners to ensure effective and timely resolution of any complaints or grievances raised by stakeholders related to environmental issues
· Prepare and submit quarterly monitoring report on the status of environmental safeguard actions and compliance for the project
· Establish and maintain a database of all records and documentation related to environmental management of all sub-projects;
· Prepare and submit progress summaries on ESMF and ESMP implementation for AfDB missions;
· Support PMU in all other aspects related to ensuring full implementation of Environmental and Social Management Framework (ESMF) and ESMPs.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicant for the Project Environmental Officer job opportunity should hold a Bachelor’s degree in environmental sciences or related sciences
· A minimum of three years’ experience in environmental impact assessment, monitoring and management
· Demonstrable knowledge of ESIA, environmental audits and monitoring
· Excellent command of IT application such as MS-office and other basic computer skills;
How to Apply:
All interested and qualified Ugandans should send their applications including; a cover letter, detailed CV, names and addresses of three referees and copies of relevant certificates and testimonials addressed and delivered to: The Executive Director, Rural Electrification Agency, Plot 10 Windsor Loop, Kololo 2nd Floor, House of Hope, Kampala - Uganda.
NB: Only short listed applicants will be contacted.
Deadline: 28th October 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline