Job Title: Project Social Development Officer
Organisation: Rural Electrification Agency (REA)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
The Rural Electrification Agency (REA) is the Secretariat of the Rural Electrification Board (REB) as established by Statutory Instrument 2001 No. 75. The REB’s main function is to oversee the management of the Rural Electrification Fund (REF) and facilitate the development and implementation of the Government’s Rural Electrification Programme.
About ADB UREAP:
The Government of Uganda received a loan from the African Development Bank for the implementation of the Uganda Rural Electricity Access Project (UREAP). The Rural Electricity Access Project is one of several projects designed to achieve the target set in Rural Electrification Strategy and Plan (RESP-2), which aims to increase access to electricity in rural areas from 7% to 26% by 2022. The objective of the project is to provide access to electricity and enhance economic growth in rural areas of the country. Rural Electrification Agency (REA) is the Executing Agency for the project, under the supervision of the Ministry of Energy and Mineral Development (MEMD).
Job Summary: The Project Social Development Officer will be responsible for coordinating the activities of the Community Affairs Assistants to ensure monitoring and reporting compliance on the implementation of the social aspects of the project.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Ensure and monitor compliance of the project activities with ESMP, ESMF, AfDB safeguards requirements, and the national environmental policy and legal requirements during construction of subprojects.
· Routinely review the contractor’s Social Management Plans for compliance with the project’s objectives and ensures its implementation.
· Supervise and coordinate all social related activities of the project, including the supervision of the contractor and the consultant’s social activities.
· Work in line with the social management plan, develop adequate performance indicators for the community affairs officers, supervise and coordinate their activities.
· Oversee the sensitization and information dissemination on the project’s objectives within the project areas.
· The incumbent will coordinate HIV sensitization and the promotion of safe prevention measures
· Develop and implement appropriate strategies to enhance community participation during project design and implementation.
· The jobholder will formulate and implement community mobilization strategies geared towards accelerated consumer connections.
· Ensure gender mainstreaming during project implementation
· Coordinate the social impact assessment and management during the preparation, implementation and monitoring of Resettlement Action Plans (RAPs).
· Conduct post-RAP implementation social audit to ensure that all the social impacts are addressed.
· Coordinate and carry out social consultation with stakeholders for subprojects, and ensure their adequate documentation promptly and timely;
· Support the PIU and relevant implementing partners to develop and publicize site-specific grievance redress mechanisms, to ensure effective and timely resolution of any complaints or grievances raised by stakeholders.
· Prepare and submit a monthly monitoring report on the status of social safeguard actions and compliance for the project
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicant must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Social Science, Sociology, Social Work and Social Administration
· A minimum of three (3) years of relevant professional experience in social impact management for development projects.
· The candidate must demonstrate his/her knowledge and ability to engage in a range of social issues in the energy sector.
· Working knowledge and experience of Key Social Management Tools, notably Social Impact Assessment and Social Impact Audits, monitoring, and reporting.
· Broad knowledge of Wayleaves acquisition and the process of compilation of a Resettlement
· Action Plan for infrastructure projects.
How to Apply:
All interested and qualified Ugandans should send their applications including; a cover letter, detailed CV, names and addresses of three referees and copies of relevant certificates and testimonials addressed and delivered to: The Executive Director, Rural Electrification Agency, Plot 10 Windsor Loop, Kololo 2nd Floor, House of Hope, Kampala - Uganda.
NB: Only short listed applicants will be contacted.
Deadline: 28th October 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline