Organisation: Rural Electrification Agency (REA)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
The Rural Electrification Agency (REA) is the Secretariat of the Rural Electrification Board (REB) as established by Statutory Instrument 2001 No. 75. The REB’s main function is to oversee the management of the Rural Electrification Fund (REF) and facilitate the development and implementation of the Government’s Rural Electrification Programme.
About ADB UREAP:
The Government of Uganda received a loan from the African Development Bank for the implementation of the Uganda Rural Electricity Access Project (UREAP). The Rural Electricity Access Project is one of several projects designed to achieve the target set in Rural Electrification Strategy and Plan (RESP-2), which aims to increase access to electricity in rural areas from 7% to 26% by 2022. The objective of the project is to provide access to electricity and enhance economic growth in rural areas of the country. Rural Electrification Agency (REA) is the Executing Agency for the project, under the supervision of the Ministry of Energy and Mineral Development (MEMD).
Job Summary: The Assistant Project Engineer will be responsible for the design reviews, supervision of site construction activities, quality control and the general performance of the works contract as detailed in the service contract; the assistant project engineer will represent REA on a day-to-day basis, ensuring that works are properly done by the contractors and adequately supervised by the consultant. Their primary role will be to represent the Agency at the project site, conform the progress of construction of the Uganda Rural Electricity Access Project on a day to day basis, and to ensure quality and workmanship compliance, while also liaising with key stakeholders to ensure smooth project implementation.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· The incumbent will supervise construction work for quality compliance
· Ensure supply and use of quality materials as per the contract
· Ensure adherence to construction standards and good engineering practices during installation
· Keenly review and recommend change orders and or instructions
· Audit poles delivered to site
· Update and maintain a daily work log
· Oversee and coordinate the entire value chain including suppliers, subcontractors and key stakeholders to mitigate any risks.
· Prepare test protocols, schedule and facilitate network pre-commissioning and commissioning.
· Actively facilitate site meetings and handover of completed network.
· Carry out periodic defects liability inspections/audits, generate snag lists and follow-up correction of snags.
· Report on progress and commitment and performance of the supervision consultants,
· Ensure participation of key stakeholders during implementation of the project including the local community and service providers.
· Perform any other duties as specified by the Head of Department.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicant must hold a diploma in Electrical Engineering, a BSc. in Electrical Engineering will be an added advantage.
· A minimum of three years’ experience in power line construction.
· A valid class B ERA installation permit will be an advantage.
· Previous experience in powerline construction and project management.
· Knowledge of power system commissioning and maintenance practices.
· Computer literate and able to used Ms. Office applications for report writing.
· Age: Below 40 years
How to Apply:
All interested and qualified Ugandans should send their applications including; a cover letter, detailed CV, names and addresses of three referees and copies of relevant certificates and testimonials addressed and delivered to: The Executive Director, Rural Electrification Agency, Plot 10 Windsor Loop, Kololo 2nd Floor, House of Hope, Kampala - Uganda.
NB: Only short listed applicants will be contacted.
Deadline: 28th October 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline