Job Title: Midwife Mentor (4 Job Vacancies)
Organisation: Infectious Diseases Institute (IDI)
Duty Station: Uganda
Reports to: Team Leader- TST
The Infectious Diseases Institute (IDI) is an international non-profit organization which is a partnership of infectious diseases and public health specialists. The overall objective of the IDI is to strengthen health systems with strong emphasis on Infectious Diseases, through Research and Capacity Development. IDI has five operational areas through which it works to achieve its mission: Prevention, Care and Treatment; Training, Research and Laboratory services (provided through a partnership with the Makerere University - John Hopkins University Core Lab) and Outreach.
About CDC / PEPFAR Project:
With funding from Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)/PEPFAR, IDI is implementing comprehensive HIV/AIDS services in 7 districts of mid-western Uganda Districts and 8 West Nile districts under the project: “Accelerating Comprehensive HIV/AIDS Service Delivery through Health System Capacity Building and Technical Assistance of District Health Teams and Health Facilities in Western and West Nile Regions in the Republic of Uganda under PEPFAR.”
Job Summary: The Midwife Mentor will manage mentorship and supervise district frontline health workers in both technical aspects of maternal and child health (MCH), elimination of mother to child transmission of HIV (EMTCT) and in professionalism health care delivery. They major roles include coordinating trainings, providing mentorship, supporting documentation and reporting related to MCH and EMTCT.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Providing mentorship to frontline health workers within the district health facilities in delivery of elimination of mother to child transmission of HIV services (Option B+), Early Infant Diagnosis care and related Maternal and Child Care in the districts.
- Offer support in the implementation and use of MoH guidelines in line and ensure compliance with MoH policies
- The incumbent coordinates required trainings for the district staff in relation to implementation of EMTCT
- Offer support professional continuous medical education sessions at the health facilities in line with EMTCT and related MCH areas
- Actively facilitate continuous quality improvement activities to improve EMTCT within the district health facilities.
- Actively participate in QA/QC for services in project-supported facilities in the districts.
- Ensure that all heath facilities make and submit required reports in time and also generate reports for the program reporting ·
- Ensure the health workers obtain the updated and required tools to support care
- Coordinate and support follow up of clients to improve retention in care for Option B+ patients and their exposed infants.
- The jobholder will support the integration of maternal care within EID care points to support client centered care
- Coordinate technical support supervision for Health facilities in the district
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate should have completed Registered training in Midwifery from a recognized education institution
- Training in elimination of mother to child transmission Option B+
- At least three years work experience in a busy clinical setting preferably in the district health system setting
- Broad knowledge and understanding of maternal and child health issues especially goal oriented ANC
- Knowledge of good nursing procedures and practices
- Good report writing skills and basic knowledge of Microsoft Word, excel and power point packages.
- Keen attention to detail, especially regarding data accuracy
- Good team player and management skills
- Excellent communication skills
How to Apply:
All interested and suitably qualified candidates should send their application cover letter, CVs (with 2 professional referees) and copies of their academic credentials to:
The Human Resources Manager,
Infectious Diseases Institute,
College of Health Sciences, Makerere University,
P.O. Box 22418, Kampala, Uganda
Deadline: Friday, 7th October 2016 by 5:00 PM
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline