Job Title: Project Advocate (3 Entry Level Jobs)
Organisation: Law Development Centre (LDC)
Funding Source: Democratic Governance Facility (DGF)
Duty Station: (Fort Portal) Kabarole, Adjumani and Kibaale, Uganda
Reports to: Project Co-ordinator
The LDC has a mandate to provide legal education to lawyers and non-lawyers, undertake research in topical legal issues, contribute to legal reform, produce legal publications, teaching materials, law reports and also provide community legal services.
About DGF Project:
The Law Development Centre (LDC) received funds from the Democratic Governance Facility (DGF) to implement a project called “Use of Bar Course Interns to Enhance Access to Justice for Juveniles and Indigent Persons.” The project IF being implemented in five districts, namely: Adjumani, Kibaale, Kagadi, Masindi and Kabarole shall run until 31st December, 2017.
Job Summary: The Project Advocate will manage and administer the district project office. The incumbent will also provide direct legal aid services to the poor and indigent of the district.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Represent LDC Legal Aid Clinic clients in Court.
· The incumbent will provide information about family Court, criminal court and other legal procedures
· Support clients in filling out and filing court paper work and attending court hearings.
· Provide client specific advocacy to meet identified clients’ needs, such as contact with other service providers, law enforcement, and others.
· Support clients in self-representation
· Keep the project coordinator informed of risk situations and emerging issues in work with clients.
· Provide community sensitization
· The incumbent will provide supervision and mentoring for the bar course interns
· Prepare and submit timely, accurate and analytical reports.
· Maintain proper and up-to-date clients’ records and files.
· Ensure proper use and care of project assets.
· Supervise the Fit Persons and ensure the Fit Persons structure is thriving.
· Perform any other duties as assigned by the Project Coordinator
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicants should preferably hold a Bachelor’s degree in Law.
· Diploma in Legal Practice of Law Development Centre.
· A minimum of two years’ working experience in provision of Legal Aid or related field.
· The applicant must be an enrolled advocate with a valid practicing certificate.
· Knowledge of project management will be an added advantage.
How to Apply:
All candidates should send their applications addressed to The Secretary, Law Development Center, P.O. Box 7117 Kampala either via post or hand delivery to the Law Development Centre Reception. The applicants should attach up-to-date Curriculum Vitae, Certified copies of academic and other relevant documents and indicate names and contacts of two referees.
NB: Applicants should clearly indicate only one preferred district. Applicants who responded to the earlier advert need not re-apply
Deadline: 14th October, 2016 by 5.00pm.
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline