Job Title: WASH Officer
Organisation: Uganda Red Cross Society (URCS)
Duty Station: Uganda
Reports to: Operations Manager and Programme Manager WASH
Uganda Red Cross Society (URCS) is the leading national humanitarian organization in Uganda and a member of the International Red Cross Red Crescent Movement. The ICRC is an International humanitarian institution which has a mandate to protect victims of international and armed conflicts i.e. the wounded, refugees, civilians, prisoners and other non-combatants.
Job Summary: The WASH Officer will be responsible for the Management of all WATSAN components (both Hard and software), programming, material, financial and human resources of the National Society within the South Sudanese Refugees Emergency Operations for URCS Response Actions and Projects in Bidi Bidi resettlement site
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepares project work plans and budgets and ensures proper accountability of project funds and other resources;
- Prepares and submits timely and quality activity reports;
- Prepares update and monthly project progress reports, budgets in accordance with URCS guidelines and presents the same for incorporation into the overall organization plan and budget.
- Provides training, coaching and support supervision sanitation and hygiene project volunteers (CBDR volunteers and groups).
- Works closely and maintains good coordination with OPM/UNHCR and other Donors/partners on WASH activities and policies;
- Ensures that the trainings, sensitizations in PHAST and other activities at different levels within the resettlement site are conducted in a timely and quality manner.
- Make assessment of the none-functional water facilities in the resettlement site to establish magnitude of damage, identify the spare parts required and execute necessary remedial actions.
- The incumbent will assess the water situation in the resettlement site and recommend appropriate technologies to deliver safe and adequate water in such areas.
- Prepare and submit technical reports including technical drawings and designs for bid documents to facilitate contractual process by logistics department.
- Manages contracts whenever they are awarded, maintains link with contractors and closely supervises the contracted works to completion.
- Regularly promotes construction and use of sanitary facilities within the resettlement site;
- Advises and encourages refugees and host communities on safe waste disposal in resettlement site
- Maintains good coordination and cooperation with other OPM/UNHCR and other Donors/partners
- Supervise the preparation, development and dissemination of relevant messages for positive behavior change among refugees and host communities in the resettlement site.
- Carry out technical assessments during health emergencies and disasters to inform management on appropriate interventions and support the operations accordingly.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Red Cross Society WASH Officer job opportunity should hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Water Engineering, Civil Engineering or a related field from a reputable institution
- Possession of a Post Graduate or Pre-Graduate Diploma in Water Engineering, Civil Engineering or a related field
- Sound training in water resources management
- Specialized training in improved hygiene promotion approaches i.e. Participatory Hygiene and Sanitation Transformation (PHAST), Community led Total Sanitation (CLTS), Personal Hygiene and Sanitation Education (PHASE) for schools.
- At least three years’ WASH experience in NGO setting
- Familiar with preparation of bid documents, contracts and contract management especially in the construction of water facilities and civil works.
- Excellent computer skills with high proficiency in Microsoft excel and ability to run specific software (AutoCAD, ArchCAD and basic GIS)
- Broad knowledge and understanding of Emergency Response Protocols and sphere standards for service delivery.
- Good initiative and self-motivated individuals to work with minimal supervision.
- Good interpersonal skills and working relations with staff under his/her supervision and other stakeholders.
- Good analytical and reporting skills
- Impeccable level of integrity
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Knowledge of the local languages within the Mt. Elgon Region is an added advantage
How to Apply:
All candidates who desire to join the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement should send their filled application forms, download here and E-mail to: email@example.com or mail via post to: The Secretary General, Uganda Red Cross Society, Plot 551/555 Rubaga Road, P.O. Box 494, Kampala, Uganda.
Deadline: 23rd September 2016 by 5.00pm.
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline