Job Title: Grants and Compliance Manager
Organization: Catholic Relief Services (CRS)
Project Name: USAID Sustainable Outcomes for Children and Youth in Central and Western Uganda
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Finance and Compliance Director
Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an international non-profit organization which implements the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.
About SOCY Project:
Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is implementing "Sustainable Outcomes for Children and Youth in Central and Western Uganda" Project over the next five years. The objective of the Project is to improve the health, nutrition, education and psychosocial wellbeing of vulnerable populations, as well as reduce abuse, exploitation and neglect to a minimum of 625,000 children and 101,500 households in 17 districts in central and western Uganda. The consortium partners include Action for Community Development (ACODEV), African Network for Prevention and Protection against Child Abuse and Neglect (ANPPCAN), TPO Uganda, and Futures Group. Over 30 staff are supporting this project of $38.5 million through USAID funding. The Grants and Compliance unit covers all partner accounting for over 20 partners, which included Consortium Partners, Resource Partners and Civil Society Organizations.
Job Summary: The Grants and Compliance Manager will provide overall management of sub-grants, trainings in program and finance management, offer support to consortium partners and local implementing partners on sub-grant management and assist in reviewing sub-grants agreements. S/he will ensure compliance to regulations, accepted accounting practices and manage partner cash advances and liquidations. The incumbent will build the partners’ capacity to ensure improved compliance with donor requirements and to manage the grant. S/he will assist the partners in the budget development process and perform budget analysis duties as assigned by the Finance and Compliance Director. The jobholder assists in the interpretation of USAID regulations for local partners and Grants and Compliance Officers. S/he coordinates the assessment and identification of needs for training in compliance, budgeting and financial management and their implementation.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Grants Management & Compliance:
- Serve as the partner point of contact on grant management and compliance issues. 2. Assist with the preparation of standard grant agreements for partners and maintain individual partner files.
- The incumbent will ensure the maintenance of all files, records and documents relating to the project.
- Coordinate the development and implementation of grant management capacity building activities such as trainings at partner level.
- Regularly monitor all local partners’ capacity in meeting grant reporting and compliance regulations, report the findings to the Finance and Compliance Director and initiate corrective measures.
- Supervise the monitoring of IPs and CSOs by Grants and Compliance Officers and review Monitoring Visit Reports.
- Offer support in the coordination of meetings/trainings related to grant reporting and compliance
- Regularly monitor the capacity of grants and compliance officers to monitor and comply with regulations and initiate steps to improve the same.
- Keenly review partners’ budgets and provide comments/recommend approval by Finance and Compliance Director.
- Regularly monitor partner budgets and expenses at least on a monthly basis and compare actual expenditure against cash forecast to ensure adequate cash holding partner level.
- Support the Finance and Compliance Director to build the capacity of Grants and Compliance Officers to support partners on budgeting
Partners’ Financial Support:
- Ensure that the Grants and Compliance Officers provide direct technical support in all aspects of finance for Partners.
- Identify partners’ training needs, and recommend to the Finance and Compliance Director training curriculum to address the needs.
- Regularly monitor and assess each partners’ ability to accurately record and post all financial transactions and provide feedback to Grants and Compliance Officers and partners.
- Advise on GAAP and basic accounting records to be maintained at partners.
Internal Control Assessments and Site Visits:
- Conduct together with Grants and Compliance Officers partner financial management assessment using CRS Internal Control and Monitoring/ information gathering tools, as required.
- Regularly visit the partner to monitor the performance of Grants and Compliance Officers and partner and provide support.
- Support the Grants and Compliance Officers to report on implementation of Internal Controls Improvement Plan.
- Ensure that advances to partners are liquidated in a timely manner.
- Provide support in the review of liquidation reports and partner advances within the sub-grant budgets ensuring that all liquidations are processed according to grant and CRS guidelines
- Ensure that all project assets with partners are verified and reconciled on a regular basis.
- Maintain and track sub-recipient agreements and amendments, obligated amounts and update grant files.
- Consolidate quarterly cash forecasts from partners and submit to the Finance and Compliance Director.
- Lead, direct, mentor and coach Grants and compliance staff.
- Assist in setting annual finance and compliance targets and ensure that specific tasks are built in every compliance staff performance plan.
- Motivate, develop, coach and appraise subordinate staff in accordance with CRS Performance Management System (PMS) and Catholic Social Teachings (CST)
- Review and recommend updating of Grants and Compliance Officers’ job descriptions regularly.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Catholic Relief Services (CRS) Grants and Compliance Manager job opportunity should hold a Bachelor's Degree in Finance, Administration or Accounting, MBA preferred.
- A minimum of five years’ experience working with a large NGO, of which three years managing sub-grants especially USG.
- Excellent coordination skills and a demonstrated ability to multi-task.
- Strong personnel management, administrative and financial skills.
- Ability to review and analyze partner budgets.
- Strong diplomatic skills and proven ability to work in a multi-partner program.
- Proven experience in building, strengthening and sustaining management and financial capacity.
- Excellent English language oral and written communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication and negotiation sills.
- Fluent written and spoken English.
- Extremely flexible, and have the ability to cope with stressful situations.
- Ability to maintain performance expectations and strong working relationships.
- Past experience with and enthusiasm for on the job training.
- Computer literacy skills i.e. Knowledge of Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, utlook, and Internet) required.
- Desire to work effectively in a team, oriented environment.
- Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff): Serves with Integrity, Models Stewardship, Cultivates Constructive Relationships, Promotes Learning
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested Ugandan candidates are encouraged to send their cover letters, CVs and three work references (names and contact information only) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline: 10th October 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline