Job Title: Senior Accountant
Organization: Malaria Consortium
Project Name: USAID/PMI Malaria Action Program for Districts (MAPD) Project
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Director Finance and Administration
Salary: USD 13,320 gross per annum
About Malaria Consortium:
Malaria Consortium is the world’s leading not-for-profit organisation dedicated to the comprehensive control of malaria and other communicable diseases in Africa and Southeast Asia. Malaria Consortium works with communities, government and non-government agencies, academic institutions, and local and international organisations, to ensure good evidence supports delivery of effective services, providing technical support for monitoring and evaluation of programmes and activities for evidence-based decision-making and strategic planning. Malaria Consortium works to improve not only the health of the individual, but also the capacity of national health systems, which helps relieve poverty and support improved economic prosperity.
About USAID MAPD Project:
The Malaria Action Program for Districts (MAPD) project is a 5-year USAID/PMI funded project. The project aims to prevent and control Malaria illnesses and deaths in order to minimise the social economic effects of the disease among the overall population of Uganda especially in children under 5 years of age. The project will be implemented starting in August 2016, and will cover 43 districts with a total population of more than 13 million. The Malaria Action Program for Districts project offers a partnership uniquely positioned to deliver this implementation rollout. Partners include Johns Hopkins Program for International Education in Gynecology and Obstetrics (JHPIEGO), Banyan Global, Deloitte &Touché Uganda, Infectious Diseases Institute (IDI) and Communication for Development Foundation-Uganda (CDFU).
Job Summary: The Senior Accountant will maintain and control the completeness and accuracy of the financial system for the MAPD office and ensure an efficient, relevant and timely accounting service. The Senior Accountant is responsible for maintaining the completeness and accuracy of the financial data and ensuring the integrity of the balance sheet
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Management Accounting – 15%
· Issue monthly management accounts to program staff and meet monthly to discuss the results, amend mis‐posting and other errors
· Assist program to plan future expenditure and cash needs and to take remedial action where there are overspends
· Keenly analyse project expenditure to ensure value‐for‐money
· Maintain a database of costing to enable cross‐project comparisons to be made and to assist and speed up the preparation of new project budgets by technical staff
Regulatory Matters – 10%
· Review all legal contracts and ensure MC complies with USG and Uganda Government law
· Support the Director Finance and Administration in improving financial systems by providing ideas based on day‐to‐day experience
· Ensure that MC procurement activities are in accordance with MC and donor procurement policies and practices
Donor Reports – 15%
· Prepare donor financial reports in conjunction with program staff on a timely basis and with the frequency required by the donor.
· Assist in the compiling of budgets for new projects
Financial Administration (19%)
· Act as point of contact for all payment queries
· Ensure the entry of all Ugandan shilling payments and receipts into the GL
· Ensure maintenance the fixed asset register on a monthly basis
· Perform checks on the petty cash on an ad hoc and monthly basis with the Accounts Officer - Cash.
· Ensure payroll monthly processes and review payroll and necessary reports
· Ensure correctness in allocated codes and posting payroll information to PSF
· Make sure that the salary control account is reconciled and outstanding payroll liabilities (NSSF, PAYE and LST) are paid in line with current tax regulations.
PS Financial System (20%)
· Check the correctness of coding, completeness of financial documents and review the batches of invoices and payments prior to posting to the accounting system
· Review all outstanding advances with Accounts Officer GL and ensure they compile with the MC Finance Manual.
· Ensure that all collections are made using MC receipt voucher and deposited to appropriate MC account on timely basis.
· Make adjustments as necessary using authorized Journal Vouchers.
· Ensure all MC Finance supporting documents are securely filed in line MC Finance Manual Procedures.
· Prepare reconciliations of the Cash, Bank and Advance accounts on a monthly basis.
Field Offices (7%)
· Provide technical support and oversight to Field Finance officers
· Coordinate the field offices’ monthly cash needs with the budget heads and Area Coordinators with the objective is to minimise month end cash and bank balances, whilst at the same time having adequate funds available for operational needs
· Review transactions & monthly returns of the field offices for error and accuracy
· Review the coding of the field reports with project managers
· Review and approve bank reconciliations for the field offices
· Conduct regular visits to the field offices to ensure quality in all aspects of finance management
· Review Monthly Field Checklist
· Close the field books of accounts monthly according to the timetable
Reporting (10%): Prepare month end Country Finance Checklist and supporting document file for review and approval by the CFM in line with the monthly Finance schedule
Human Resources (10%)
· The incumbent will line manage the two Accounts Officers in Kampala and ensure goals and objectives are set and reviewed in line with MC performance management procedures
· Provide technical and oversight support to the Field Finance Officers.
· Coordinate with Field office heads to ensure goals and objectives are set for the Field Finance Officers and reviewed in line the performance management procedures
Currency Management (3%)
· Work closely with the Bank for fair rates, negotiate and deal an exchange rate which favours MC
· Inform the Financial Controller of monthly exchange rates for PSF.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicant for the Malaria Consortium USAID MAPD Senior Accountant job opportunity should be a Qualified ACA, ACCA or CIMA Accountant
· At least three years’ experience with NGO work, audit experience, with at least one year’s in a managerial position.
· Previous experience of USAID compliance
· Knowledge of NGO sector
· Excellent analytical skills
· Good excel and other software skills
· Excellent computer skills with high proficiency in Microsoft excel
· Excellent reporting skills
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
· Strong ability to be able to manage and prioritise multiple tasks
· Working knowledge of accounting software
· Keen attention to detail
Delivering Results: Supports others to achieve results
· Displays a positive and enthusiastic approach and is not deterred by setbacks, finding alternative ways to reach goals or targets.
· Supports others to plan and deliver results
· Supports others to manage and cope with setbacks
Analysis and use of information: Uses evidence to support work
· Identifies and uses various sources of evidence and feedback to support outputs
· Uses evidence to evaluate policies, projects and programmes
· Identifies links between events and information identifying trends, issues and risks
· Ensures systems are in place to address organisation needs
Interpersonal and Communications: Adapts communications effectively
· Tailors communication (content, style and medium) to diverse audiences
· Communicates equally effectively at all organizational levels
· Understands other’s underlying needs, concerns and motivations and communicates effectively in sensitive situations
· Resolves intra-team and inter-team conflicts effectively
Collaboration and Partnering: Builds strong networks internally and participates actively in external networks and think tanks
· Builds strong networks internally
· Participates actively in external networks and/or think tanks.
· Engages with relevant experts to gather and evaluate evidence
· Shares and implements good practice with internal and external peers
Leading and motivating people: Effectively leads and motivates others or direct reports.
· Gives regular, timely and appropriate feedback
· Acknowledges good performance and deals with issues concerning poor performance
· Carries out staff assessment and development activities conscientiously and effectively
· Develop the skills and competence of others through the development and application of skills
· Coaches and supports team members when they have difficulties
Flexibility/ Adaptability: Remains professional under external pressure
· Able to adapt to changing situations effortlessly
· Remains constructive and positive under stress and able to tolerate difficult situations and environments
· Plans, prioritises and performs tasks well under pressure
· Learns from own successes / mistakes
Living the Values: Supports others to live Malaria Consortium’s values
· Demonstrates personal integrity by using role position responsibly and fairly
· Cultivates an open culture within the wider team, promoting accountability, responsibility and respect for individual differences
Strategic planning and thinking and sector awareness: Is aware of others’ activities and vice versa in planning activities
· Takes account of team members and others workload when planning.
· Maintains awareness of impact on other parts of the organisation, keeping abreast of other’s activities, objectives, commitments and needs
· Has a good understanding of the sector in which Malaria Consortium works
How to Apply:
All interested applicants are encouraged to apply online at the web link below.
Deadline: 16th September 2016 by 2:30 pm
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline