Job Title: Senior Data Management Assistant
Organisation: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Position No.: 10026385
Vacancy Notice: 018/2016
Reports to: Protection Officer
Duty Station: Adjumani, Uganda
Post Grade: GL5
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees was established on December 14, 1950 by the United Nations General Assembly. UNHCR’s mandate under the Statute of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees is to lead and co-ordinate action for international protection to refugees; seek permanent solutions for the problems of refugees and safeguard refugee rights and well-being. UNHCR has an additional mandate concerning issues of statelessness, as it is given a designated role under Article 11 of the 1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness.
Job Summary: The Senior Data Management Assistant will be supervised by the Protection Officer who will provide regular guidance and support. Subject to the nature of the task/assignment, he/she will work independently on routine tasks, while following instructions of the supervisor for more complex issues. Contacts will be with the colleagues in the same duty station to exchange information and to discuss the work plans. External contacts are not frequent. The incumbent may play a liaison role with the national and local authorities for gathering and exchange of data.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Capture data mainly related to asylum seekers, refugees and other persons of concern to UNHCR into the computer database.
- Prepare and submit reports and project documents by providing information, preparing tables and drafting routine correspondence and reports.
- Offer support in the compilation of data and interpreting the statistics for various reports.
- Assist in the development of forms for data collection and analysis, if requested.
- Act as interpreter in the exchange of routine information and translate routine documents and correspondence as and when required.
- May be required to collect GIS data, update maps and undertake field trips to project sites.
- Perform any other duty, as requested
Key Performance Indicators: The Office has reliable and up-to-date data on persons of concern.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations UNHCR Senior Data Management Assistant job placement should have completed secondary education with post-secondary training/certificate in Electronic Data Processing, Information Technology or related field.
- At least five years of previous job experience relevant to the function.
- Excellent knowledge of computer software and database applications.
- Computer literacy skills i.e. proficiency in MS Office, including Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Access).
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Knowledge of any other relevant UN or local language is desired
- Completion of UNHCR learning programmes or specific training relevant to functions of the position is an added advantage
- Ability to work as part of a team but also independently, in a multi-cultural environment.
- Knowledge of the UN system is desired
- Ability to work in remote areas.
- Fluency in English, Madi, Lugbara and Aringa
How to Apply:
All interested Ugandan nationals who wish to join the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to click on the link below and follow the application instructions after reviewing the job details.
Deadline: 24th September, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline