Job Title: Finance Officer
Organization: United Nations Regional Service Centre Entebbe (RSCE)
Duty Station: Entebbe, Uganda
Job Opening Number: 66280
Reports to: Service Line Manager
The Regional Service Centre Steering Committee is the decision-making body for RSCE, in compliance with General Assembly resolutions, United Nations Secretariat rules and regulations, strategic guidance from United Nations Headquarters and oversight bodies. The Steering Committee consults with the Global Field Support Strategy Implementation Coordination Team, as required.
The Regional Service Centre, as approved by the Member States, is owned, managed and staffed by the regional missions it serves. This framework reinforces the existing missions’ chain of command structures and lines of authority in a manner that does not create an additional layer between Headquarters and the regional missions. It also ensures that staffing for RSC.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: Within delegated authority, the Finance Officer will carry out the following duties:
· Keenly reviews and undertakes the closing of monthly accounts, followed preparation of financial statements for submission to Headquarters.
· Ensure accuracy and completeness of the data reported in the financial statements.
· The incumbent also scrutinizes source documents for completeness, accuracy and validity of reported of reported figures and underlying transactions.
· Regularly reviews and approves supporting vouchers for accounting transactions such as payroll, payment of staff entitlements, final payments, travel claims, vendor invoices, agencies, field missions, etc. to ensure adherence to relevant staff rules, financial regulations and rules, guidelines and practices.
· Undertakes review of internal control procedures to ensure transactions are executed and vouchers are processed and correctly recorded in Umoja.
· Investigates erroneous charges and transactions and takes appropriate corrective accounting actions.
· Reviews and verifies bank reconciliations and transactions and takes appropriate correctives accounting actions on a monthly basis.
· Reviews Open Item Managed Accounts.
· Examines the validity of requests for increases in petty cash levels; approve disbursement vouchers to replenish petty cash accounts.
· Approves the recording of Earmarked Funds in Umoja.
· Supervises other General Service and Field Service staff as required.
· Assist in gathering information and providing data to the Auditors
· Responds to queries from staff members and third parties.
· Supports the Service Line Manager in cash management, including preparing cash flow forecasts.
· Keeps up-to-date on documents/reports/guidelines that have a bearing on matters related to programme, ensuring compliance with intergovernmental recommendations and decisions as well as with United Nations policies and procedures.
· Provides guidance and training to junior staff with respect to transaction processing and the use of various systems such as SAP(Umoja) and Progen.
· Drafts/verifies memoranda and/or cables relevant to financial and budget matters to various offices, departments and missions.
· Performs any other related duties, as assigned.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate for the United Nations Finance Officer job opportunity should hold an advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business administration, finance or related area. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
· At least five years of progressively responsible experience in finance, administration, budget, business administration or related field.
· Previous exposure and experience with United Nations systems and processes is highly desirable. Professional certification in accounting or audit is desirable.
· Prior experience in a service centre or operation is desirable.
· Languages: Fluency in oral and written English is required.
· Knowledge in the use and application of the Organization’s financial regulations and rules as well as accounting policies and practices.
· Ability to extract, interpret, and analyse a wide variety of data and to resolve data discrepancies and other problems.
· Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter;
· Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results;
· Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns;
· Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
· Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
Planning & Organizing:
· Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies
· Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required
· Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work
· Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning
· Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary
· Uses time efficiently
· Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients ” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view
· Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect
· Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions
· Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems
· Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects
· Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client
NB: The United Nations does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (Application, interview meeting, processing, or training). The United Nations does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates desiring to serve the United Nations Regional Service Centre at Entebbe (RSCE) in the aforementioned capacity should express their interest by visiting the UN recruitment website and clicking Apply Now.
Deadline: 14th September 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline