Job Title: Field Safety Associate
Organisation: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Position No.: 10026376
Vacancy Notice: 018/2016
Reports to: Head of Office
Duty Station: Adjumani, Uganda
Post Grade: GL6
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees was established on December 14, 1950 by the United Nations General Assembly. UNHCR’s mandate under the Statute of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees is to lead and co-ordinate action for international protection to refugees; seek permanent solutions for the problems of refugees and safeguard refugee rights and well-being. UNHCR has an additional mandate concerning issues of statelessness, as it is given a designated role under Article 11 of the 1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness.
Job Summary: The Field Safety Associate will manage and support activities pertaining to staff security. The incumbent will be is supervised by the Head of Office who will define the general work objectives and provide necessary advice and guidance. The incumbent will maintain regular contact on a working level on routine issues with other UNHCR staff members, UN agencies, NGOs, implementing partners in the area to facilitate the operation. The duty of the incumbent is to support and monitor the management of security issues.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Offer technical support to the supervisor in evaluating the level of risk and assessing the existing security measures for the UNHCR staff, operations, premises, partners and persons of concern.
- Carry out regular security assessment missions to the field in coordination with UNDSS/other agencies; assist the supervisor during field missions to gather information and analyse the security situation.
- Be aware of security protocols and procedures in place, especially those comprising Minimum Operational Safety Standards (MOSS) and Minimum Operational Residential Safety Standards; check for compliance and advise management on any deficiencies.
- Regularly monitor the physical security of UNHCR premises and reports on deficiencies/ requirements for the guard force.
- Assist in efforts to ensure the physical protection and security of refugees and other persons of concern.
- Provide support during implementation of security-related projects.
- In charge of monitoring, updating and reporting of security-related events.
- Assist in the processing of administrative security issues
- Maintain relations and cooperation with UN security management system actors, local law enforcement agencies, civil authorities and other relevant agencies.
- Provide security briefings and training to UNHCR staff, and as appropriate partner staff, on relevant country information and on other issues pertaining to the UN security management system including, inter alia, the warden system, radio communication procedures, travel procedures and fire safety.
- Respond to staff queries on security issues and provide immediate assistance as required.
- Perform any other duties as delegated by the supervisor
Key Performance Indicators:
- Country operations receive practical advice and support toward helping ensure an appropriate level of safety.
- UNHCR maintains beneficial relationships with host country law enforcement agencies and the UN Security Management System.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations UNHCR Field Safety Associate job vacancy should have completed secondary education with relevant training and experience in security and safety issues.
- At least eight years (6 with advanced training/certificate) of previous relevant job experience.
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral).
- Good computer skills
- Excellent security apparatus knowledge
- Ability to work as part of a team but also independently, in a multi-cultural environment.
- Knowledge of the UN system.
- Ability to work in remote areas.
- Fluency in English, Madi, Lugbara and Aringa
How to Apply:
All interested Ugandan nationals who wish to join the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to click on the link below and follow the application instructions after reviewing the job details.
Deadline: 24th September, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline