Job Title: Senior Program Manager
Organization: Mercy Corps
Project Name: PEPFAR Safe Work, Life Skills and Market Connections to Decrease HIV Risk for Young Women (SKY) Project
Duty Station: Uganda
About Mercy Corps:
Mercy Corps is an International NGO that exists to alleviate poverty and oppression by helping people build secure, productive and just communities. Mercy Corps has been fully registered in Uganda as an operational NGO. Currently Mercy Corps has an office in Kampala and is implementing Food Security programs which comprise of Water and Sanitation, Livelihood and Agriculture and Conflict Mitigation Management Program in North and North Eastern Uganda. We implement programs in the northern districts of Pader, Kitgum, Agago, Lamwo, Kaabong, Abim and Kotido with funding from USAID, USDA, Walmart Foundation, SDC, DFID as well as other private donations.
About PEPFAR DREAMS Project:
Mercy Corps was recently awarded funding for a 2-year PEPFAR DREAMS program, Cultivating Safe Work, Life Skills and Market Connections to Decrease HIV Risk for Young Women (SKY) seeking to address the growing rate of HIV/AIDS among young women (ages 19 -24) who engage in transactional sex in the Gulu, Lira and Oyam Districts. SKY will reduce 4,500 young women’s reliance on transactional sex by providing them the skills, confidence and connections needed to achieve steady employment.
Job Summary: The Senior Program Manager for the SKY program will have supervisory and managerial responsibility over all aspects of program implementation and staff development in that locale. The Senior Program Manager works closely with the Director of Programs to provide vision and leadership in project administration and monitors overall project performance. The Senior Program Manager leads the coordination, financial and administrative compliance and monitoring and evaluation of the consortium in Gulu, Lira & Oyam, engendering a collaborative team spirit focused on achievement of program goals and objective. The Senior Program Manager is responsible for the oversight of SKY activities and travels frequently to the field.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Take lead in the conceptualization, implementation and continual improvement of dynamic, analysis-rooted development interventions in Gulu, Lira and Oyam Districts in collaboration with program staff.
- Set an example as a thought leader, continually encouraging staff to re-evaluate their strategies, gather and incorporate tacit information, and adapt programming to new learning and environmental conditions.
- Coordinate, manage and motivate program teams in Gulu, Lira and Oyam offices, ensuring that they have clear objectives/individual work plans as part of performance management) and receive meaningful feedback on their performance.
- The incumbent will recommend program priorities and explore, evaluate and present new country opportunities that leverage impact and/ or complement core activities.
- Ensure an integrated approach to program implementation in order to maximize resource utilization and synergy between the staff and different MC programs. Office Management:
- Ensure proper logistics, administration, human resources and transport needs of the program are conducted within Mercy Corps policy and with the maximum benefit to the program.
- The jobholder will oversee the recruitment and training of program staff to ensure staff is of the quality and capacity to successfully implement activities. Monitor and advise on staffing needs throughout the program. Ensure evaluations and disciplinary measures are made, as necessary according to Mercy Corps policy.
- Exercise sound judgment to ensure project expenses are reasonable, allocable and prudent. Ensure all project funds are spent in accordance with donor rules and regulations. Work with the Director of Programs to forecast expenditure surpluses and deficits to enable adjustments to be made to the program in a timely fashion.
Monitoring and Evaluation:
- Support the development and continual revision of a dynamic, programme-wide monitoring and evaluation system linked to program strategies, indicators, and information management tools, which supports programme management, accountability and learning. Coordinate data gathering and management with all program staff and take overall responsibility for monitoring and evaluation for the SKY Program.
- Ensure that team leaders are paying sufficient attention to the continual gathering and digestion of operating environment data and activity reports, and that teams are holding frequent activity review sessions to continually re-examine the relevance and impact of their programming.
External Representation and Coordination:
- Ensure establishment and maintenance of relationships with communities, village councils and local government in target areas.
- Offer support and coordinate visits from regional and HQ based staff and external visitors, such as donors and media, in collaboration with Director of Programs and Country Director.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Mercy Corps Senior Program Manager job placement should a Master’s Degree in business, economic development or other relevant field is preferred.
- At least eight years of relevant international experience with positions of progressively greater responsibilities.
- Proven management and demonstrated success building, managing and leading a team of professionals.
- Strong writing, communication, organization, prioritization and negotiating skills.
- Excellent (English) verbal and written communication skills with proven financial management skills.
- Excellent quantitative skills required.
- Financial accounting experience preferred.
How to Apply:
All prospective Ugandans who wish to join Mercy Corps are encouraged to send their applications via email including a cover letter clearly stating your salary requirements, CV (with 3 referees), and copies of academic qualifications/certificates to firstname.lastname@example.org addressed to the Senior HR and Legal Manager, Kampala Head Office on 4th Floor Embassy Plaza, Plot 1188-1190 Ggaba Road.
Deadline: 29th September, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline