Job Title: Senior Human Resource Officer
Organization: UGAFODE Microfinance Limited (MDI)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Head of Human Resource
UGAFODE Microfinance Limited (MDI) is a registered financial institution in Uganda and is adherent to the Central Bank's regulations and guidelines and was founded in 1994 to provide quality microfinance services.
Job Summary: The Senior Human Resource Officer will be responsible for overseeing all HR activities, managing HR information system, reporting and overseeing staff wellbeing and engagement.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Support staff recruitment, selection and exit processes:
· Work closely with hiring managers to ensure job descriptions are complete and accurate.
· Prepare notices and advertisements for vacant positions.
· The jobholder will support in the review and short listing of applications.
· Oversee scheduling of interviews with applicants and appropriate staff.
· Collate information for interview reports and grids for hiring managers and Head of HR for review.
· Carry out reference checks on candidates.
· Ensure that staff exit procedures in compliance with UGAFODE HR policy and country labour law.
2. Oversee induction of new staff:
· Prepare and finalise new staff contracts.
· Plan inductions and new staff training
· Ensure the new staff information is recorded and filed properly.
3. Facilitate all HR activities:
· Ensure that UGAFODE recruitment policy and procedures are communicated to hiring managers and adhered to.
· Ensure that UGAFODE induction policy is followed for new staff. Support in the development of effective induction processes to ensure staffs are aware of the UGAFODE values policies and practices relating to their employment.
· Disseminate performance management policies and tools, making certain that all staff and line managers understand and use the performance management tool.
· Provide confidential counselling to staff and support to line managers in order to address disciplinary issues.
· Ensure all staff sign contracts and document contract changes.
· Coordinate staff exit procedures to facilitate smooth closure of contracts and compile emerging issues from the exit interviews for management review and action.
· Oversee payroll management.
4. HR Policy Interpretation and Implementation:
· Assist the Head of HR to develop, implement, and communicate personnel policies and procedures in accordance with the UGAFODE’s goals, statutory requirements, and human resources policies
· Actively participate and take lead where required in the development, review and implementation of the HR work plan.
· Work in close consultation with the Head of HR, develop, review and update the HR policies as and when applicable
· Proactively advice staff of any changes in HR policies, employment law and guidelines; and the implications thereof.
· Provide HR technical support and advice to line managers on the interpretation and implementation of the full range of UGAFODE’s HR policies and procedures.
5. Monitor staff performance management and professional development:
· Collaborate with line managers for setting and monitoring performance objectives for all staff.
· Maintain and coordinate staff recognition/motivation programmes.
· Organise and track professional development and capacity building activities for staff.
6. Oversee staff wellbeing and Engagement:
· Provide counselling support to staff when requested.
· Carryout staff engagement surveys and ensure staff participation.
7. Exit Management:
· Carry out staff exit meetings with separating staff and periodically analyze staff exit related information to guide retention initiatives.
· Manage employee exit processes (clearance, handover etc) and ensure that the exit process is compliant with applicable labour laws and UGAFODE policies
8. Reporting and Accountability:
· Prepare and submit departmental reports and other briefs as and when required.
· Proactively work with the HR team to address HR issues and ensure the HR activity plan/ mandates are achieved to the required standard.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicant should preferably hold a Bachelor’s degree in human resource management or related discipline
· At least five years’ experience in HR management preferably in a financial institution
· Demonstrated good knowledge of national employment law
· Previous experience in managing benefits and compensation systems
· Prior experience in planning and developing HR plans and policies and rolling out new HR initiatives
· Excellent written and spoken English
· Computer literacy i.e. proficient in MS Office
· Excellent organizational skills and time management
· Excellent negotiation skills
· Good presentation and facilitation skills for the dissemination of information
· Ability to balance the needs of staff and the organization
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their applications which should include a cover letter and an up-to-date detailed CV, certified copies of complete academic transcripts and professional certificates. Your applications should include names of three professional referees and a day-time telephone contact. Send them to:
Head of Human Resources,
UGAFODE Microfinance Limited (MDI),
Silva Arcade, Plot 62 Bombo Road,
P.O. Box 30815, Kampala. Uganda
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: 30th September, 2016