Job Title: Senior Finance Officer
Organisation: Agricultural Business Initiative (aBi)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Head of Finance
Job Ref No: FIN002
The Agricultural Business Initiative (aBi), a group of registered companies namely aBi Trust and aBi Finance Ltd, is a multi-stakeholder entity co-founded in July 2010 by the Governments of Uganda and Denmark through DANIDA and the Ministry of Finance, Planning and Economic Development respectively, with the objective to promote “Private sector agribusiness development to enhance wealth creation.” The development objective of the aBi Trust is building a self-sustaining export-led economy in which the benefits are shared by all Ugandans, and its immediate objective is to strengthen the competitiveness of Uganda’s agricultural and agro-processing sector. It does this through Value Chain Development (VCD) of six value chains (Coffee, Cereals, Pulses, Horticulture, Dairy and Oil Seeds) and Financial Services Development (FSD).
Job Summary: The Senior Finance Officer will primarily ensure that aBi’s financial information and systems is complete and financially sound; that it is managed through a robust and proactive reporting system and provides accurate, financial analysis and business insight to enable comprehensive financial decision making
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Providing accurate, timely and meaningful financial and management information that enables the Board and Senior Management Team to make effective decisions regarding the strategic direction of the organisation.
· The incumbent will prepare or extract periodic financial statements to inform on current status and projected performance to the different stakeholders e.g RDE, Senior management, BOT/BOD and the public (Statutory accounts)
· Guide on appropriate technology to meet the organisation’s financial data processing, controls, and reporting requirements.
· Stay abreast with changes in financial regulations and legislation
· Coordinate, prepare and submit external audit materials
· Review maintain and reconcile general ledgers and sub ledger in the financial information system
2. Manage an efficient accounts payables and receivables system that will ensure aBi’s meets its contractual obligations and safe guards its assets and investments resulting in business continuity
· Keenly review payment vouchers to ensure timeliness, completeness and accuracy of supporting information in the processing of payments.
· Ensure compliance with statutory obligations to minimise risk of litigation, financial and reputational loss e.t.c
· Prepare and process payroll and board allowances ensure correct calculation of statutory deductions
· Follow up and collect on outstanding accounts receivable.
· Ensure collection of tax payment certificates for purposes of claiming tax credits
3. Monitor aBi’s spend against budgets and provide regular analysis to communicate and highlight areas of concern resulting in the relevant decisions to be made/ taken.
· Actively contribute to the development of the annual budget by providing guidance to departments/budget holders during department budget planning
· Monitor spend against budget informing timely informs management on variances from the established budget and the reasons for those variances
· Prepares monthly performance/variance analyses and forecast reports to inform management decisions.
· Cash flow analysis and management (financial projections)
4. Ensure that an operational framework is in place that identifies, analyses and informs on the financial impact of loss to the organization, employees, the public, and the environment etc as a result of risk exposures.
· Actively participate in identifying financial risks, and threats pertaining to financial processess and systems of the organisation
· Make recommendations to reduce or control financial risk by working with departments to calculate the risk associated with specific financial transactions, considering proposed business decisions etc
· Carry out risk-based forecasting and planning, predicting change and future trends, as well as forecasting cost to the organisation.
5. To manage the unit in a manner that empowers them to deliver excellent financial services to aBi’s stakeholders and results in an engaged and committed team.
· Communicate to the team a clear and exciting vision for the work of aBi’s and for the role of department in supporting the organisation
· Ensure that each member is provided with clear expectations for achievement of results, standards and behaviour
· Plan and organise the work of the team so as to achieve team and organisation in the most cost effective manner possible; ensuring that team members are given appropriate workloads and are working efficiently
· Support and build the capacity of team members to enable them to give of their best e.g. by encouraging and praising good performance, coaching, training, assisting staff to prevent or resolve problems, providing resources, tools and equipment
· Monitor and review performance and, in particular, hold staff accountable for achieving results, meeting standards of excellence and delivering any improvement goals which have been identified; taking decisive action in the case of poor performance
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicant should preferably hold a Bachelors’ Degree in; Commerce or Business Administration or a related field majoring in accounting.
· Full qualification ACCA/CPA/CIMA
· At least five years post-graduation experience in development sector finance
· Proficiency in MS Office particularly Excel and Word, as well as a computerized financial management system.
· Extensive knowledgeable in donor financial reporting standards and other accounting best practice.
· Proven experience in grants management and reporting
· Advanced analytical and mathematical skills.
· Experience in budgeting, forecasting and management reporting.
· Excellent attention to detail, organised, and can work to strict deadlines
· Good report writing skills.
· Previous experience in sub grants management
· A proactive and confident communicator.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should apply online by clicking on link below and following the instructions.
Deadline: 18th September 2016 by 12:00pm
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline