Job Title: Senior Database Management Officer
Organization: National Agricultural Research Organisation (NARO)
Duty Station: Entebbe, Uganda
Reports to: Deputy Director General, Agricultural Technology Promotion
The National Agricultural Research Organisation is established by the National Agricultural Research Act 2005 as a body corporate with the mandate to provide strategic direction for publically funded agricultural research in Uganda. The organisation is composed of the Council as its governing body, Committees of Council, a Secretariat for its day-to-day operations with semi-autonomous Public Agricultural Research Institutes (PARI’s) under its policy guidance.
Job Summary: The Senior Database Management Officer will be tasked with collecting, organizing, storing and enabling users’ access to the organization’s information through designing, developing, implementing and maintaining organizational database systems.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Create and maintain all organizational databases to enable it deliver on its mission.
- The jobholder will install new versions of the relational database management system and its tools and any other tools that access the database.
- Plan and implement security, backup and recovery of the database.
- Enforce and maintain database constraints to ensure integrity of the database.
- The incumbent will identify and manage migrations of programs, database changes, reference data changes and menu changes through the development life cycle
- Administer all database objects, including tables, clusters, indexes, views, sequences, packages and procedures.
- Troubleshoots with problems regarding the databases, applications and development tools.
- Carry out the technical analysis, design and documentation required for new changes and projects.
- Investigate, analyse and make recommendations to management regarding technology improvements, upgrades and modifications.
- Support the development and update of reference materials such as operating instructions, flowcharts, layouts, diagrams, charts, code comments and clear code.
- Develop and implement standards to ensure that application design and code are produced with proper integrity, security and performance
- Ensure adequate staff competencies in using and maintaining the databases
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the immediate supervisor.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the NARO Senior Database Management Officer job opportunity must be a Ugandan who possesses a good bachelor’s degree in computer science, software engineering or information technology/systems from a recognised university. Possession of a master’s degree will be an added advantage.
- Advanced experience in developing data-driven applications utilizing significant relational database engines as part of the overall application architecture (experience with either PostgreSQL or MySQL is required and any of the following highly desirable; Oracle, MS SQL Server, H2 SQL).
- Demonstrable working experience using most of the following: Spring, Hibernate, JQuery, Subversion, Restful web services, agile methodology, Maven, Jasper server, android SDK.
- Advanced knowledge and skill with popular open source programming languages JAVA and PHP 5 and PHP 7.
- Proven skills in enterprise application integration.
- Strong leadership skills and demonstrable ability to work successfully as a member of a team.
- Excellent analytical and organisational skills.
How to Apply:
All candidates who wish to join NARO are encouraged to send their applications to the Director General, National Agricultural Research Organization, P.O. Box 295, Entebbe, Uganda.
The complete applications should include applications, detailed curriculum vitae giving day-time telephone contacts, names and postal/e-mail addresses and daytime telephone contact of 3 (three) referees of good standing in society as well as copies of professional certificates and testimonials.
Deadline: 7th October 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline