Job Title: Seed Systems Officer
Organisation: International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA)
Project Name: Maize and Wheat improvement - DTMASS Project
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a member of a world-wide network of International Agricultural Research Centers. IITA’s research focuses on smallholder cropping systems in sub- Saharan Africa. IITA has headquarters in Ibadan Nigeria, a regional hub in Dar-es- Salaam, Tanzania and a permanent office in Uganda.
Job Summary: The Seed Systems Officer will support the implementation of activities of DTMASS project and providing technical support to in-country partners (private/public seed companies, NARS, NGOs). The Seed Systems Officer has the responsibility of providing timely, high-quality technical assistance to in-country maize seed production partners on best practices for DTM variety production (from breeding to post-certification mass production) to engender independent and sustainable local v EGS and Certified DTM seed production.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Under the direction of the Principal Investigator, implement technical support and capacity building efforts to in-country seed companies (public and private) on DTM seed production
- The jobholder will support multiplying initial pre-basic and basic seed to help private seed companies to quickly scale seed production of drought-tolerant maize varieties.
- Assist and coordinate the production of Early Generation seed to meet the demands by private seed companies and other partners.
- Offer technical support in the production of certified by seed companies and distribution in the target zones.
- Support other seed system specialists and scientists in engaging seed producers for the development of sustainable seed networks and markets.
- Assist in developing and improving capacity of seed sector partners through training and other related capacity- building initiatives.
- Assist and monitor variety demonstrations conducted by seed companies and NGOs to promote drought-tolerant maize varieties
- The incumbent will ensure that the relevant bodies and partners comply with all relevant seed quality and production and storage standards as needed
- Support seed company partners in timely and accurate recording of seed production Progress Reports, including the reporting of any challenges
- Offer logistical and technical support for any in-country training or workshops
- Support staff and consultants in any business and marketing support efforts to in-country seed production partners
- Support Communications staff in preparing materials for publication on DTMASS efforts and project success stories.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should preferably hold an MSc in Agriculture or related field
- At least three to five years of relevant experience in maize seed production, maize breeding, agronomy or related field.
- Previous experience working with public and private seed sectors
- Prior experience organizing and implementing Variety demonstrations, field days, other promotion activities
- Previous experience in collecting DUS and VCU data
- Prior exposure and experience in training or skills transfer
- Ability to work with different nationalities, as a member of a diverse work team, motivate and support partners, and communicate challenges and successes in a timely manner
- Ability to prepare project documents and reports with minimal assistance
- Basic computer skills (MS Office, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, email, etc.)
- Skills in database or research applications desirable
- Possess Valid Driver’s License
- Ability to read, speak and write in English
How to Apply:
All candidates should send their applications including an updated curriculum vitae, copies of certificates, telephone number, email address, and names and addresses of three referees and send them to the Country Representative, IITA-Uganda P.O. Box, 7878, Kampala, OR hand deliver to Plot 15, East Naguru Road OR email to: IITA-Uganda@cgiar.org. Please clearly indicate Seed Systems Officer in subject line if sending by email or on envelope if sending by post, or hand delivery.
Deadline: 7th October, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline