Organisation: Joint Clinical Research Centre (JCRC)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Manager, JCRC TB Laboratory
Joint Clinical Research Centre (JCRC) is a National Ugandan Organization that was established in 1991 as a Medical Institution and HIV/AIDS Centre of Excellence specializing in Medical Research, Health Care and Training.
Job Summary: The QA/QC Supervisor – Mycobacteriology will serve and train under the immediate supervision of the Manager, JCRC TB Laboratory. The incumbent’s primary responsibility will be to manage and ensure the proper functioning of all Quality Management activities performed by the JCRC TB laboratory which is in conformity to the requirements of the overall JCRC Quality Management provisions. Additionally, s/he is expected to improve the current Quality practices of the TB lab, with the aim of preparing it for accreditation by College of American Pathologists (CAP) and other international accrediting bodies. The incumbent may be required to assist the senior staff in teaching new requirements and other Quality Management techniques, while continuing to monitor the performance of the JCRC TB lab QA/QC activities.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Actively participate in writing of standard operating procedures (SOPs) as may be required, ensure scheduled reviews, storage and archival of SOPs and maintenance of up-to-date documentation of all Document Control procedures and activities of the lab.
- Provide continuous supervision and training for the Laboratory staff in GCLP Quality Improvement and other relevant areas that relate to the everyday QA/QC measures upheld in the JCRC laboratories.
- Perform monthly data review in compliance with JCRC laboratory continuous quality improvement and quality assurance procedure (CQI/QAP) and prepare information for dissemination at relevant forums/meetings that the lab is involved with.
- Assist in procedure and instrument trouble shooting as well as prompt, clear and concise documentation of corrective actions.
- Ensure weekly and/or monthly QA/QC data is entered onto charts or on the server and reviewed by relevant supervisors as accurate.
- Keenly review returned PT reports and to coordinate or complete investigations of unsatisfactory results and accurate documentation of the investigation and corrective actions.
- Maintain laboratory equipment quality control documentation and schedule necessary routine/preventative maintenance.
- Perform or coordinate internal (on-site) calibration of key equipment located in the JCRC TB laboratory such as pipettes, thermometers, timers, etc.
- Coordinate and monitor all external quality assurance (EQA) activities with other Ugandan/international institutions, and summarizing performance.
- Responsible for assisting with and/or performing new kits/assay validations where necessary and to review data with TB lab management and, when required, with the overall JCRC laboratory management.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate should hold a Bachelor’s degree in lab sciences and/or Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology
- A minimum of five years’ experience in QA/QC activities from a reputable organization. Registration with the Allied Health Professional’s Council (AHPC) and possession of a valid practicing license is a must.
- This position will require the incumbent to be knowledgeable in all laboratory activities, Good Clinical Laboratory Practices (GCLP), international accreditation and any related QA/QC literature relevant to the lab, as well as other JCRC activities that pertain to the laboratory and it's Quality Management Plan.
- Ability to professionally communicate in writing and verbally or other means deemed appropriate.
- Broad knowledge and understanding of the policies of the Uganda-CWRU Research Collaboration, especially as relates to its activities at operational clinics in Mulago as well as collaborating laboratories.
- A high degree of professionalism and management ability is required of this position as well as interpersonal abilities to motivate and train individuals to perform in an efficient and productive manner.
- Proven ability to travel to and from work (is required, which includes JCRC and collaborative sites in Mbale, Jinja, Gulu, Fort Portal and Mbarara if necessary.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their applications and supporting documents including copies of academic qualifications and Curriculum Vitae (CV) indicating names and contacts of three professional referees should either via post to: Manager Human Resource and Development Joint Clinical Research Centre, Plot 101, Lubowa Hill, Entebbe road P.O. Box 10005, Kampala or via email with all documents combined in one PDF document on email@example.com.
Deadline: 3rd October 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline