Job Title: Project Accountant
Organization: Makerere University
Duty Station: Public Interest Law Clinic (PILAC), School of Law, Kampala, Uganda
Salary: Uganda Shillings 1,800,000-Gross
Reports to: University Bursar
Makerere University is the oldest and premier University in Uganda which strives to becoming the leading institution for academic excellence and innovations in Africa.
Job Summary: The Project Accountant will manage and maintain books of account in accordance with Makerere University guidelines, policies and the relevant professional code of conduct.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Ensure that there are adequate financial management routines and systems in place that adhere to Makerere University accounting procedures, policies, standards and donor requirements.
· The incumbent will ensure that all statutory requirements of PILAC, are met including Income tax, Local Service tax, Withholding tax, PAYE and NSSF.
· Oversee the bookkeeping functions including maintenance of general ledger, accounts payable, accounts renewable and payroll.
· Work in liaison with, and provide support to program staff on financial and budgetary issues.
· Maintain overall budget control and monitor cash flows daily, monthly and quarterly and prepare cash flow forecasts in accordance with policy.
· The incumbent will ensure that the budgeting, accounting, yearend procedures and other financial processes take place in adherence to the financial policy of Makerere University, donor requirements and auditor requirements
· Provide up- to- date financial analysis and required reports of the financial situation of the project to the Project Coordinator, Legal Aid Manager and Programme staff.
· Reconcile accounts with the donor at agreed dates.
· Offer technical support and train Line Managers with budget responsibilities.
· Maintain responsibility towards transparency and accountability with finance issues as well as implementing the Anti Corruption Act.
· Ensure that the internal procedures are implemented in accordance with Makerere University Guidelines, policies and other relevant professional codes of conduct.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicant should hold a University Degree preferably in Business Administration, Financial Management or other relevant educational background with relevant professional experience.
· Professional qualifications in ACCA or CPA is required.
· A minimum of five years’ experience working in projects.
· Knowledge of computer software and modern accounting systems.
· Previous experience working with windows based computer soft ware and modern accounting systems.
· Ability to plan and draw budgets for projects.
· Demonstrated skill and experience in Financial Report writing.
· Fluency in English both written and spoken.
· Familiar with Makerere University project budgeting, financial regulations and processes.
· Understands one’s responsibilities for the careful use and protection of financial resources.
· Adheres to approved budget.
· Provides the correct financial information as required.
· Monitors project expenditures and individual expenses for reporting purposes.
· Understands how to read, interpret and use budgets and projections.
· Updates budgets and projections diligently.
· Ability to identify wasteful financial practices or opportunities for greater efficiencies.
· Ensures compliance with all the required regulations, policies and practices that are needed for effective use of financial resources.
How to Apply:
All candidates are strongly encouraged to send their applications, Curriculum Vitae, Certificates and Transcripts (3 copies each set) giving full details of applicants’ education, qualifications, work experience, present salary and names of three referees, plus their postal addresses to the address below. Applicants should make sure that at least two referees have forwarded references in support of the applicants. Applications should be delivered to the Employment Division, Room 406, Top Floor, Main Building, Makerere University, and addressed to:
The Director Human Resources,
P.O. Box 7062 Kampala.
Deadline: 16th September, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline