Job Title: Program Officer
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Sauti za Wananchi, Regional Manager
Twaweza is an independent East African initiative that was established in 2009 by Rakesh Rajani, a Tanzanian civil society leader who founded HakiElimu and served as its first executive director until the end of 2007. Twaweza’s approach and theory of change is built on the lessons from the HakiElimu experience, as well as wide ranging conversations across East Africa conducted through 2008 and a review of the literature.
Job Summary: The Program Officer will support the management of the Sauti za Wananchi mobile phone panel survey in Uganda. The jobholder will be partly responsible for the successful establishment and expansion of the survey into Uganda. The incumbent will offer support yo ensure that established successful MPPS policies and standards are transplanted and applied in the Uganda data collection; and, in consultation with the regional manager, that data collected are analyzed and transformed into high level narratives, which you present at launch events or any other engagements. You will also ensure continued strengthening of the Twaweza/Sauti za Wananchi brand as a go-to independent and reliable source of citizen monitoring and opinion data.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- The jobholder will co-ordinate the Sauti za Wananchi survey data collection, including the baseline survey and call round monthly data collection and reaching targeted outputs;
- Participate in developing of key thematic areas of call rounds, data collection tools and data analysis; from baseline survey, monthly rounds and other adhoc surveys at Twaweza;
- Partake in drafting high quality policy briefs; co-organize publication and launch events; present findings at launch and represent Twaweza/Sauti za Wananchi in the media;
- Independently represent Twaweza/Sauti za Wananchi in contacts with interested third parties, in public presentations and in negotiations about third party use of Sauti za Wananchi infrastructure;
- Offer support in disseminating Sauti za Wananchi Survey data and briefs to journalists, through the web and otherwise;
- Build and maintain good relations with Twaweza partners, journalists, MPs and other key partners of Sauti za Wananchi;
- Publicize internationally Sauti za Wananchi as a low cost way for high frequency monitoring to different stakeholders;
- Supervise interns, consultants and junior staff employed in relation to this job;
- Learn new skills and improve existing ones including in empirical analysis or data presentation;
- Offer support in the planning and review processes of the Sauti za Wananchi and the Data and Voice work in a timely manner;
- The incumbent will participate in analysis and in-depth research on specific issues of interest to Twaweza/Sauti za Wananchi, particularly related to education, health and water, under the guidance of the Sauti za Wananchi Regional Manager; and
- Partake in producing compelling written products on a regular basis, including policy briefs, analyses, research and academic papers, blogs and other social media for local and global audiences with within the unit, other units/colleagues in Twaweza.
- Successfully implement above responsibilities and assigned activities in work plans and budgets, consistent with Twaweza Policies.
- Contribute effectively to planning, monitoring, reporting and information dissemination of Sauti za Wananchi/Twaweza’s work.
- Work closely with Twaweza staff across units and countries in a spirit of mutual respect and cooperation to get things done.
- Communicate your work through active use of internal platform (SalesForce), electronic calendar (Gcal) and being accessible on electronic chat (Skype) as per Twaweza requirements.
- Actively participate actively in organization-wide learning and other joint activities.
- Comply with and foster adherence to the established Twaweza values, policies, regulations, guidelines and procedures.
- Perform any other lawful tasks as may be assigned by your Supervisor, respective Director and/or Executive Director.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the Twaweza Program Officer should hold a Bachelor of Arts/Science qualification in social sciences, development studies, research, public policy & planning or related area. Post graduate degree in statistics and other related studies will be an added advantage.
- A minimum of five years of relevant work experience in research and analysis at a senior position.
- Excellent verbal communication and writing skills in English with demonstrable attention to detail. Understanding of any local language; social-economic, culture and political landscape is a must
- Strong grasp of the use of social media for communication including web based applications for data driven narratives is not necessary but advantageous.
- Demonstrable computer proficiency and basic knowledge of social analysis packages e.g. STATA, SPSS.
- Good management skills and ability to work independently and as a part of a team.
- Ability to deliver on short notice where necessary and with minimum supervision.
How to Apply:
All interested candidates should send an updated CV / resume (max 4 pages) to email@example.com, including a cover letter explaining your interests/motivations to work for Twaweza, and two samples of your written work and names of three professional referees, in MS Word or PDF file. In the subject of your email write your name and the position you are applying for.
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline